Top Reasons to Stay at Sheppard Mansion Bed & Breakfast
- Located in Hanover’s historic district, the restored inn sits about an hour from both Baltimore and York, a small town known for its many factory tours.
- Stately decor, including oriental rugs, crystal chandeliers, and a mahogany staircase, reflects the Colonial Revival B&B’s 100-year heritage. The home was built by the current owners’ great-grandparents.
- The six guest rooms feature period furniture such as antique beds and clawfoot bathtubs. The Ayres suite has a fireplace.
- You can shop for food and gifts at the onsite Carriage House Market, which occupies a brick-and-cobblestone cottage behind the inn.
- Most of the goods sold in the market are locally produced, including artisanal cheeses and poultry from nearby farms, as well as honey and bourbon peaches from the region’s orchards.
Hanover, Pennsylvania: Small Rural Town with Historic Square
Located about 50 miles north of Baltimore, Hanover sits on some of the richest soil in Pennsylvania. This agricultural potential is what drew 18th-century settlers to the area, and the town never shook its farming roots. Operations such as the Hanover Shoe Farm, which has been producing world-champion racehorses since the early 1900s, are still around today. You can sample the best of what the region has to offer at restaurants that source their ingredients from local farms and orchards. There’s also a popular farmers' market held downtown on Saturday mornings—a tradition since 1815. Here you can find everything from deli meats and fresh fruit to home-baked pies.
Many of the homes located downtown were built in the middle of the 19th century. Civil War markers dot the main square, where you’ll find a number of quaint shops and restaurants. For a unique peek at local history, head to the small Fire Museum to see a collection of firefighting memorabilia that includes a hand-drawn fire engine from around 1770.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
Book by 5/10/13 or promotional value expires. Must complete travel by 5/31/13. Limit 4 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts. Limit 2 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. Reservation required, subject to availability. 14-day cancellation notice required or fee of 1-night stay up to Groupon price applies. Must be 21 or older to check in. Credit card required at booking and check-in. 9% tax not included.