Resort at a Glance: Union Creek Resort
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Union Creek Resort has been a destination within Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest since 1922. Notable names such as Zane Grey, Jack London, and Herbert Hoover have stayed here, vacationing amid 700-year-old douglas firs and the stunning Crater Lake National Park, which is located nearby.
- Peaceful cabins: All cabins have fridges and microwaves, and some feature full kitchens, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves.
- Press accolades: Frommer's says "it's the best (as well as the closest) lodging option outside the west entrance to Crater Lake National Park."
- Driving time to Crater Lake National Park: 30 minutes
- Legendary homemade pies are available for sale at the onsite Beckie's Cafe.
- Play a game of pool in the main lodge, which also has a fireside library and a full-service kitchen.
- Have an adventure: Go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing on trails throughout the area; there are 150 miles of well-groomed routes for snowmobiling as well.
Prospect, Oregon: Outdoor Activities in Old-Growth Forest near Crater Lake National Park
Unspoiled natural beauty characterizes the area around Prospect, Oregon. Set along the banks of the Rogue River in the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, it's popular for outdoor activities including mountain biking, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling.
It's worth the quick trip to Rogue River Gorge Falls, located within walking distance of town. For something more dramatic, there's the sapphire-blue Crater Lake, the United States' deepest lake at 1,943 feet. Open year-round, the park is within easy driving distance of Prospect.
Must book by 10/26/14 or promotional value expires. Valid for travel 9/2/14?12/13/14. Not valid 11/24/14?11/30/14. Limit 3 per person, may buy 3 additional as gifts. Limit 3 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. Reservation required, subject to availability. All cancellations subject to $35 fee; 14-day cancellation notice required or fee up to the Groupon price applies. Must be 21 or older to check in and consume alcohol. Credit card required at booking and check-in. Must use promotional value in 1 visit. Not valid with reward points. $4 lodging tax not included.