Solid State Drives (SSDs) are pretty standard nowadays in consumer PCs and laptops. These drives offer faster boot-times, better program loading speeds and require less all-around power consumption.
While that’s all pretty great, you may have noticed SSDs are usually limited in size. For example, many gaming laptops usually just come with a 512GB storage. If you owned Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, you would effectively use up half your hard drive with just one game. And when you compare a larger SSD (say 2TB) to a comparably-sized HDD (which relies on older, slower tech) you’ll notice the newer tech costs around five times as much.
Luckily, if you know where to look, you can find some pretty good discounts on SSDs pretty much any time of year. While you likely won’t see any price cuts that make giant SSDs cost as little as HDDs, you can still expect to save $30+ on your purchase, especially if you’re looking for something under 1TB.
If you’re looking for a portable Solid State Drive to compliment either your computer or your gaming console, here are some of the best deals currently on the web.
The Best Deals on External SSDs Right Now
The storage capacity for external Solid State Drives is pretty standard, hovering around 500GB, 1TB and 2TB sizes. However, the difference between similar capacity devices may fall on the transfer speed. This can either be up to 540MB/s or up to 1050MB/s, something to consider when choosing the right portable SSD for you.
- Seagate Expansion SSD 500GB – Sale Price: $64.99 | Regular Price: $74.99
- WD 500GB My Passport Go SSD Cobalt – Sale Price: $69.99 | Regular Price: $119.99
- Samsung T7 500GB External SSD – Sale Price: $89.99 | Regular Price: $99.99
- SanDisk 500GB Extreme Portable SSD – Sale Price: $79.99 | Regular Price: $129.99
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Mobile 500GB SSD – Sale Price: $109.95 | Regular Price: $149.99
- HP P700 512GB Portable SSD – Sale Price: $89.99 | Regular Price: $98.99
- ADATA SE800 512GB IP68 Rugged External SSD – Sale Price: $69.99 | Regular Price: $74.99
- Seagate One Touch SSD 500GB (White) – Sale Price: $69.99 | Regular Price: $84.99
- Hyundai 512GB External SSD – Sale Price: $69.99 | Regular Price: $149.99
- SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD – Sale Price: $159.99 | Regular Price: $249.99
- WD 1TB My Passport SSD – Sale Price: $139.99 | Regular Price: $199.99
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Mobile 1TB SSD – Sale Price: $179.95 | Regular Price: $299.99
- SanDisk Extreme Pro 1TB External SSD – Sale Price: $199.99| Regular Price: $299.99
- LaCie Rugged 1TB External SSD – Sale Price: $229.99| Regular Price: $279.99
- Seagate Backup Plus One Touch SSD 1TB – Sale Price: $124.99 | Regular Price: $159.99
- Seagate 1TB One Touch External SSD (White) – Sale Price: $134.99 | Regular Price: $169.99
- Samsung T7 1TB External SSD – Sale Price: $159.99 | Regular Price: $199.99
You Might Like: Apple Watch Deals are Going on Everywhere Right Now
- Samsung T5 Portable SSD 2TB – Sale Price: $230.26 | Regular Price: $279.99
- SanDisk Extreme 2TB External SSD – Sale Price: $309.99 | Regular Price: $449.99
- WD My Passport 2TB External SSD – Sale Price: $274.99 | Regular Price: $449.99
- VectoTech Rapid 2TB External SSD – Regular Price: $225.00
- FD Extreme Mini External SSD 2TB – Regular Price: $324.95
- Samsung Portable SSD T7 2TB – Sale Price: $319.99 | Regular Price: $369.99
How to Find the Best Deals on Portable Solid State Drives
Like any electronic, you can find inexpensive external SSDs if you know where to look. Here are a few tips on how to scour the web for the best discounts.
Buy in Bulk
This common concept in the world of commerce applies to portable SSDs, too. If you can afford it, always go for the bigger drive as the costs per TB is more in your favor. With the larger capacity, you can also expect it to last you longer before your next upgrade.
The Need for Speed
Typical transfer speeds for external Solid State Drives are pretty fast coming in at about 500MB/s. This equates to moving a Blu-ray quality movie to the storage in less than a minute. There are SSDs that can do this twice as fast but it will cost extra. So unless you are dealing with heavy file transfers on a consistent basis, the higher speeds may not be worth the additional dollars on the price tag.
Add a Little Color
Manufacturers like to add some diversity to their products by offering various color selections from time to time. But sometimes this backfires and some less popular color choices go unsold. So you know what happens next — discounts! If you’re okay with an external SSD that doesn’t match the rest of your electronics, then there is money to be saved.
Purchasing portable SSDs refurbished or renewed is an excellent way to save money. While there is always some inherent risk in buying a “new to you” product, most of the retailers offer warranties or guarantees to cover you in case of defect.
To stay up to date on future sales and discounts on external Solid State Drives, make sure to set up a Deal Alert with us.