It’s that time of the year again, outdoor enthusiasts. The REI Labor Day sale kicks off Friday, Aug. 24 and runs through Monday, Sept. 3., and the store’s catalog features 24 pages of limited-time deals. We’re sharing a complete roundup of what to expect, along with highlights of some of the best deals! Plus, get an REI coupon for an extra 20% off one outlet item of your choice.
- Camping Deals
- Hiking, Climbing, and Backpacking Deals
- Cycling Deals
- Paddling Deals
- Travel Deals
- Clothing and Footwear Deals
The REI Labor Day Sale
At REI’s annual Labor Day sale, shoppers can save up to 40% on select items storewide. Most products are eligible for online ordering with same-day in-store pickup, and you’ll also score free shipping on orders of $50 or more.
Even better, the store is offering a coupon for an extra 20% off any one REI Outlet item of your choice. Use code EXTRA20 on select outlet products with prices that end in .73.
Just keep in mind that there are several exclusions, mostly on big-ticket items like bicycles, paddleboards, hard-shell boats, action cameras, skis, and a few others. New REI email subscribers will also receive a coupon for 15% off one full-price REI brand or Novara item (not including bikes).
If there’s no REI near you or you just don’t want to shell out for a membership, you still have options. Slickdealer Icyj says, “Most other outdoor retailers will match the 20% off” and recommends picking “the one without tax and with highest $$$ back for yourself. Backcountry, Moosejaw, etc.” User silvery79 also observed that “Amazon tends to drop their prices to match what the REI price will be after the coupon.”
This year’s camping deals include a wide range of discounts on tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and other outdoor essentials. REI will even have an all-in-one tent bundle for $179 if you’re starting from scratch.
Just be aware that Amazon also has some top-rated four-person tents for around $50 to $100 (and even nine-person tents with two queen-size airbeds for $145). As always, compare product details and customer reviews to find something that suits your needs best. And don’t forget to check Slickdeals for the lowest prices!
$178.99 REI Co-op Camp Bundle with Camp Dome 2 Tent, Siesta 30 Sleeping Bag & Camp Bed 2.5 Sleeping Pad (Reg. $239)
- $70.99 Coleman Triton InstaStart 2-burner stove (Reg. $94.95)
- $74.99 Jetboil Flash cooking system (Reg. $99.95)
- $138.99 Marmot Tungsten 2P tent (Reg. $199)
- $138.99 REI Co-op Camp Dome 4 tent (Reg. $199)
- $243.99 REI Co-op Magma down sleeping bags (Reg. $349)
- $243.99 REI Co-op Quarter Dome 2 tent (Reg. $349)
- $274.99 NEMO Hornet 2 tent (Reg. 369.95)
- $479.89 GoalZero Yeti 400 lithium portable power station (Reg. $599.95)
- 25% off Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus sleeping pads
- 25% off Nemo Tensor sleeping pads
- 25% off Nemo sleeping bags
- 25% off Marmot Trestles & Trestles Elite synthetic sleeping bags
- 25% off MSR water filters
- 25% off Helinox furniture
- 25% off Nemo Stargaze recliners
- 30% off REI Co-op Siesta synthetic sleeping bags & sleeping pads
- 30% off REI Co-op Kingdom tents & sleep systems
Hiking, Climbing & Backpacking Deals
Slickdealer tcope highly recommends Osprey packs, saying that the brand “just knows how to make a good, useful pack” and adding that they come with “lifetime free repairs.” Just be sure to check other retailers once the sale goes live.
We’ve seen the store’s $120 Osprey backpacks sell for $90 to $100 on Amazon and eBags, while Slickdealer Npetrie says you’ll “want to keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post,” because they “just picked up a couple nice packs for a great deal.”
30% off REI Co-op Ruckpack 28 Pack (Reg. $99.95)
- $79.99 Women’s Merrell MQM Flex hiking shoes (Reg. $110)
- $89.99 Women’s Brooks Cascadia 12 trail-running shoes (Reg. $130)
- 25% off Salomon hiking footwear
- 25% off Gregory Jade & Zulu packs
- 25% off Osprey Eja & Exos packs
- 25% off Osprey Kyte & Kestrel packs
- 25% off Katadyn BeFree water filters
- 25% off Black Diamond climbing gear, lighting & trekking poles
- 30% off REI Co-op traverse packs
- 30% off Vasque Breeze III hiking boots
- 30% off REI Co-op ruckpacks
- 40% off Hart Health first-aid kits
$1,758.73 Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike (Reg. $2,199)
- 25% off Light & Motion bike lights
- 25% off Topeak bike accessories & tools
- 25% off Pearl Izumi bike shoes, bike clothing & accessories
- Up to 30% off select clearance bikes from Cannondale, GHOST, Diamondback, and Co-op Cycles
- Up to 40% off clearance cycle clothing & accessories
$1,118.73 Boardworks Super Sport Stand Up Paddle Board – 12′ 6″ (Reg. $1,399)
Looking for a new rack or roof box? Then this event’s for you. According to Slickdealer MedfordMan, REI sales are usually “the best time to get a Thule or Yakima roof cargo box.”
Slickdealer pkopkopko adds, “Yakima is a pretty decent brand for accessories” and says, “Thule and Yakima are what Pepsi and Coca-Cola are to one another. One isn’t necessarily better than the other in my opinion.”
25% off Osprey Meridian Wheeled Convertible Luggage – 28″ (Reg. $380)
- 20% off Yakima & Thule racks, roof boxes & rack accessories
- 25% off Osprey Meridian luggage
- 30% off REI Co-op Big Haul rolling duffels
- $600 off any Czech Republic Vienna to Prague hiking trip (2019 departure) when you book between Aug. 24 and Sept. 3.
Clothing & Footwear Deals
If you’re stocking up on fall or winter apparel, now is a good time to buy. You’ll find between 25% and 40% off jackets, vests and base layers. Just keep in mind that stores like 6PM and Gander Outdoors are known to offer footwear with prices competitive to that of REI, even with the sale.
Additionally, Mountain Steals has several of the same clothing and footwear brands on sale (Toad&Co, for instance, is currently up to 65% off.) Bottom line, shop around before you decide to buy.
$104.99 Women’s Toad&Co Tangerine Falls Jacket (Reg. $149)
- $54.99 Women’s KUHL Brooke skinny pants (Reg. $79)
- $54.99 Women’s KUHL Lyrik sweater (Reg. $79)
- $59.99 REI Co-op Rainier rain jacket (Reg. $89.95)
- 25% off Men’s North Face Ambition jacket and short
- 25% off select prAna sportswear
- 25% off select women’s Oiselle fitness clothing & accessories
- 25% off Salomon running footwear
- 25% off Darn Tough socks
- 25% off Native Eyewear sunglasses
- 30% off any one Arc’teryx full-price item
- 30% off select men’s KUHL apparel
- 30% off Mammut Wenaha rain jackets
- 30% off REI Co-op 650 down jackets & vests
- 30% off REI Co-op merino base layers
- Up to 40% off select clearance sandals
- Up to 40% off men’s clearance shorts & short-sleeve shirts
- Up to 40% off women’s clearance shorts & short-sleeve shirts
Score a Free REI Co-op Membership
Not an REI Co-op member? Now’s a great time to consider joining. If you spend $100 or more at REI now through Aug. 30, you’ll earn $20 toward your next purchase when you become a member (essentially making your membership free). Here’s how it works:
- Make a $100+ purchase at REI.
- Buy a $20 lifetime membership.
- Use coupon code JOINREI at checkout now through Aug. 30 to snag your $20 bonus.
As an REI Co-op member, you’ll enjoy lifetime access to exclusive perks, including 10% back on eligible full-price purchases in an annual dividend. Members also gain access to special offers and sales, as well as discounts on classes, events, rentals, and bike and ski shop services.
Earn a Free $100 REI Gift Card
Finally, REI is offering a limited-time bonus to new credit card applicants. Just apply for the REI Co-op Mastercard, and you’ll receive a $100 REI gift card when you make any purchase within 60 days of your approval.
The credit card has no annual fee, and it offers special incentives, like 5% back at REI and 1% back on everyday purchases on top of your REI member dividend. In addition, REI will make a donation to the National Forest Foundation every time you make a purchase with your card.
What are you buying at this year’s REI Labor Day sale? Let us know in the comments!
Images courtesy of REI.