work for you?
The 2019 REI Anniversary Sale is here! The outdoor retailer celebrated a big hallmark in 2018 (the store's 80th anniversary), but this year is shaping up to be impressive as well.
This year's REI Anniversary Sale will take place from May 17th to the 27th, and REI recently launched its 24-page teaser catalog to stoke the embers of anticipation.
We're taking a look at some of the best deals you'll find at REI's biggest sale of the year and sharing how to put your REI coupons to good use.
REI Sale Overview
The 2019 REI anniversary sale kicks off May 17th and runs through May 27th. It takes place both in-store and online, and features exclusive discounts, as well as 20% off coupons for both REI and REI Outlet (formerly "REI Garage").
Check your mail for the sale flyer, or browse the digital version of the flyer here. REI members will receive free shipping on orders of $50 or more, and this year's REI sale also includes free same-day pickup for some items. The online deals go live at 12:01 a.m. PT on May 17th.
In order to use the coupon offers for the REI sale, you'll need to either have a valid REI membership or purchase one prior to or during the event. A lifetime membership costs $20, which isn't much considering the savings you'll get from the deals in this sale. Non-members can still take advantage of sale prices, but not the 20% off coupon codes.
How to Use Your REI Coupon
REI Co-op members will receive 20% off one full-price item in-store or online dan an extra 20% off one REI Outlet item online. All you have to do is enter your membership number and use coupon code ANNIV19 at checkout.
You can also purchase a membership with your order (in which case, you won't need to enter your membership number). The 20% off discount will be applied to the highest full-price item and the highest-price REI Outlet item in your cart.
These additional discounts don't apply to any of the featured deals in the flyer. That being said, it never hurts to try. During the 2017 sale, Slickdealer goped0freak said, "YMMV: For the GoPro Hero5 Black, they gave me both the 20% off ($80) and the $60 gift card. It brought the price before tax to $320 and I also got the $60 gift card." (Lucky!)
If there's no REI convenient to you or you just don't want to shell out for a membership, you have some options.
Last year Slickdealer Icyj said, "Most other outdoor retailers will match the 20%" and recommends picking "the one without tax and with highest $$$ back for yourself. BackCountry, Moosejaw, etc."
Slickdealer dsbender confirmed this, adding "I just price matched a product at Backcountry.com and told them about the upcoming 20% coupon at REI. They agreed to the 20% off - no tax - free shipping." Additionally, Silvery79 added, "Amazon tends to drop their prices to match what the REI price will be after the coupon."
Just remember that merchandise purchased using this offer is excluded from the REI member annual dividend, and the coupon can't be combined with any other discount or promotion.
- Offer not valid for sale (prices ending in $._9) or clearance items (prices ending in $.83 or $.93).
- Discounts not valid on bicycles, strollers, hard-shell boats, paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, action cameras and accessories, activity trackers, personal locator beacons, avalanche transceiver and airbag products, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.
- Offer not valid on REI Adventures or REI Classes, Outings and Events.
- Offer not valid on prior purchases, used gear, special orders, package discounts, REI gift cards, memberships,shop services or rentals, passes and tickets.
Score a Free REI Membership
Not an REI member? Now's a really good time to consider joining. If you spend $100 or more at REI before May 16th, you'll earn $20 toward your next purchase when you become a member (essentially making your membership free). Here's how it works:
- Make a $100+ purchase at REI.
- Buy a $20 lifetime membership.
- Use coupon code JOINREI at checkout now through May 16th to snag a $20 bonus.
New REI email subscribers stay up-to-date on the latest products, new offers and store events. Sign up here.
As an REI Co-op member, you'll get lifetime access to exclusive perks, including 10% back on eligible full-price purchases in an annual dividend. Members also gain access to special offers and sales, as well as discounts on classes, events, rentals, and bike and ski shop services.
This Year's Best REI Deals
The REI sale will feature big savings on all types of outdoor gear, as well as REI Co-op brand gear and clothing. Remember, these discounts all reflect sale prices and are therefore excluded from the 20% off coupon.
This year's anniversary sale once again includes price breaks on Patagonia jackets, Thule racks, Joule and Igneo sleeping bags, Osprey daypacks, and REI-brand tents, sleeping pads and trail packs.
Last year, according to Slickdealer jer-ber, "Their sales are usually a good resource for Thule roof boxes." A lot of our forum users agreed. We've also seen the store's $120 Osprey backpacks sell for $90 to $100 on Amazon and eBags, while stores like 6PM and Gander Outdoors have competitive prices on Keen footwear and Vasque hiking boots.
Mountain Steals had several of the same clothing and footwear brands on sale for up to 50% off this same time last year. Plus, you could take an extra 20% off one clearance item.
With that said, here are some of the highlights from this year's REI sale:
Watches and Electronics
- 25% off all Garmin Edge 520 Plus Computers
- $50 off Garmin inReach Explorer+ & inReach Mini (through June 15th)
- 25% off PFDs for Women, Men and Kids
- 20% off Werner and Aqua-Bound Paddles
- 15% off Kayaks, Canoes, and Paddle Boards
- The North Face Dolomite One Sleeping Bags
- Exped Megamat Sleeping Pads
- Goal Zero Products
- Eureka Ignite 2-Burner Camp Stoves
- Eno Hammocks & Accessories
- Osprey Aura & Atmos Packs
- Kelty Cosmic Down Sleeping Bags
- Jetboil Flash Cooking Systems
- Deuter Aircontact Lite Packs
- REI Co-op Fitness Clothing for Women & Men
- Men's Kuhl Renegade Pants & Shorts
- Women's Kuhl Horizn Collection
- REI Co-op Sahara Clothing
- Smartwool Merino 150 Base Layers for Women & Men
- Kids' REI Co-op Rainwall Rain Jackets & Rain Pants
- Arc'teryx Items
- Women's Mountain Hardwear Crater Lake Collection
- Women's The North Face Aphrodite Pants, Shorts, & Capris
- Men's prAna Shorts
- Outdoor Research Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
- prAna Summit & Pillar Collections Yoga Bottoms for Women
- Kids' Swimwear
- Salomon Hiking & Running Footwear
- Oboz Footwear for Women & Men
- Altra Footwear for Women & Men
- Sole, Superfeet, and Oboz Insoles
- Zamberlan Vioz GTX Hiking Boots for Men
- Scarpa Climbing Shoes
- Pearl iZUMi Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories
- Osprey Hydration Packs & Reservoirs
- Ortlieb Cycle Packs & Panniers
- Kryptonite Cables & Bike Locks
- Yakima and Thule Racks, Roof Boxes and Rack Accessories
- Five Ten Bike Shoes & All Platform Pedals
- Smith Cycling Helmets
Classes & Trips
- Save $200 on Backpacking Joshua Tree National Park
- Up to $20 off any one REI Class, Outing or Event with code OUTSIDE19
RELATED: Save 20% On All Yakima Roof Boxes During the REI Anniversary Sale
Bonus: Earn a Free $100 REI Gift Card
Finally, REI is offering a limited-time bonus to new credit card applicants. You can apply for the REI Co-op Mastercard to receive a $100 REI gift card when you make any purchase within 60 days of your approval.
The credit card has no annual fee, and it offers special incentives like 5% back at REI and 1% back on everyday purchases on top of your REI member dividend (which is typically 10% on your eligible REI purchases). In addition, REI will make a donation to the National Forest Foundation every time you make a purchase with your card.
And don't forget to set a Deal Alert with us to stay updated on the latest outdoor deals.
Images courtesy of REI.
Any product or service prices/offers that appear in this article are accurate at time of publish, and are subject to change without notice. Please verify the actual selling price and offer details on the merchant’s site before making a purchase.