The 2021 REI Anniversary Sale this year will run from May 21 to May 31 –just in time to get you ready for your summer and any outdoor adventures. Described by REI as its “biggest sale of the year” this is the best time to get all the equipment, clothes, and outdoor gear for 2021 and for years to come.
REI Anniversary Sales and Best Deals
Typically, the REI Anniversary Sale best deals include must-haves for your camping, hiking, and backpacking needs and this year’s annual sale does not disappoint in these and more categories.
Last year, we saw deals that included 50% off REI Co-op men and women clothing items, 20% off Yakima and Thule roof accessories and up to 25% off on select bike tires and accessories. Below are some of the deals and finds of REI’s big anniversary sale, based on the early online catalog release.
2021 REI Anniversary Sale Overview and How To Get $20 Off
We strongly recommend grabbing a like-free REI membership before the sale. Now until May 20th, add $50 worth of REI products and the $20 REI lifetime membership card to your shopping cart. You will then receive a $20 bonus card to spend at REI and enjoy the perks of REI membership, such as coupons and annual dividends.
REI Co-op Members can get 20% off one full-priced item during REI’s Anniversary Sale at checkout. Some exclusions do apply. Non-members can still shop the discounted prices of the REI Anniversary Sale, but they will not have the option for an additional 20% off coupon.
About the REI Memorial Day and Anniversary Sale
The REI Memorial Day Sale is actually the REI Anniversary Sale, which usually takes place leading up to the Memorial Day holiday. Traditionally, the Anniversary Sale ends the day of Memorial Day.
REI also has three other annual sale events, including the following:
- September — The Labor Day Sale: occurs leading up to Labor Day.
- November — The Gear Up Get Out Sale: REI winter sale is typically right before Thanksgiving.
- March — Member Moment Sale: a sale for members only in March.
Best 2021 REI Anniversary Sale Deals
Historically, the REI Anniversary Sale best deals we have seen revolve around REI Co-op brand gear and clothing, as well as REI-brand tents and outdoor gear. Shoppers can also expect decent price breaks on name-brand outdoor gear and wear too, such as Patagonia and The North Face jackets.
If you are in the market for a roof box, the annual REI sales are a good time to invest in one. When it comes to Thule and Yakima, good sales are few and far between, and finding one used in great condition is also rare.
Past sales have seen 20% off Yakima and Thule car racks, roof boxes, and rack accessories this year making items such as the highly-rated Thule Motion XT L Roof Box under $600. We invested in a similar Thule roof box two years ago, and even though it sits in our garage a lot of the time, the handful of trips we have taken as a family of five have made our Thule worth its weight in gold.
Here are just a few of the deals you can score at the current 2021 REI Anniversary Sale running May 21 – 31:
Yeti Portable Power Stations
- 20% off any YETI Goal Zero Power Stations | Reg. Price $149.95 – $5,000
- 25% off all NEMO tents | Reg. Prices $249.95 – $749.95
Watches and Clothes
- $100 off ALL Garmin Fenix 6 GPS Watches
- 25% off ALL Salomon Hiking Footwear (adults and kids)
- 25 % off ALL SealLine Dry Bags & Packs
- 25% off ALL VISSLA Men’s Swimwear
- 25% off ALL Carve Designs Swimwear for Women
- Up to 20% off a Snow Peak Takibi Fire & Grill | Reg. Price $319.95
Climbing and Biking Gear
2021 REI Anniversary Sale Catalog
The 2021 REI Anniversary Sale Catalog was released today and you can scan the entire catalog here. Typically, REI will mail out their REI Anniversary Sale catalog a week before the sale event, so look out for yours or view it online.
2021 REI Coupons
Last year, REI Co-op members received 20% off one full-price item in-store or online and an extra 20% off one REI Outlet item online during the anniversary sale. Remember you can grab a like-free membership now until May 20th.
Unfortunately, these additional coupon savings cannot typically be applied to the featured REI deals happening during the Anniversary Sale week. Furthermore, anything purchased during the sale will not count towards your REI member annual dividend.
However, with the big REI 2021 Anniversary Sale, you can expect other retailers to drop their prices or price match. Traditionally, Slickdealers have been able to find similar, if not better, deals elsewhere. In 2019, Slickdealer Icyj said, “Most other outdoor retailers will match the 20%” and recommends picking “the one without tax and with highest $$$ back for yourself. BackCountry, Moosejaw, etc.”
Slickdealer dsbender confirmed this, adding “I just price matched a product at Backcountry.com and told them about the upcoming 20% coupon at REI. They agreed to the 20% off – no tax – free shipping.” Additionally, Silvery79 added, “Amazon tends to drop their prices to match what the REI price will be after the coupon.”
If you are already an REI member, you can use these two hacks to save even more at the REI anniversary sale:
- Trade-in your old gear and clothes for REI gift cards. Use REI’s equipment search to see how much your unneeded gems will earn you.
- Sign up for a REI Mastercard, which has a $100 REI gift card sign-up bonus and offers 5% back on REI purchases.
2021 REI Anniversary Sale Exclusions
Most of the best sales and REI coupons come with exclusions, and REI’s Anniversary Sale discounts are no exception. Historically, REI has excluded the following from its Anniversary Sales:
- Sale (prices ending in $._9) or clearance items (prices ending in $.83 or $.93) are typically not included in the offers.
- Discounts are usually not valid on select items, including bicycles, strollers, hard-shell boats, paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, action cameras and accessories, activity trackers, personal locator beacons, avalanche transceiver and airbag products, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.
- REI Adventures or REI Classes, Outings and Events are also typically excluded.
- Discounts generally cannot be used on prior purchases, used gear, special orders, package discounts, REI gift cards, memberships, shop services or rentals, passes and tickets.
What to Expect from the REI 2021 Anniversary Sale and FAQ
Check back soon for confirmed REI 2021 sale dates and the catalog drop. Unlike last year, you can expect online and in-store discounts to help you snag much-needed outdoor gear for a fun summer.
What time does REI anniversary sale start?
Based on the sale’s history, the sale runs 10 days, specifically Friday through the Monday that lands on Memorial Day. For 2021, the dates are May 21st through May 31st.
What is REI Anniversary Sale?
The REI Anniversary Sale is one of REI’s annual sale events for both members and non-members alike. REI members can expect better or additional coupons to use during the sale.
Is the REI Membership Worth It?
Yes, especially if you can purchase the membership for $20 and get a bonus $20 back like right now. Even without a special, the $20 lifetime REI Membership comes with many perks, including frequent coupons and annual dividends on everything you spend.
Keep up with all of the best REI deals, as well as discounts on all your favorite products by setting a custom Deal Alert. We’ll notify you the moment a new deal hits our forums.
- How to Get the Best Membership Deal at 24 Hour Fitness
- 12 Cheaper YETI Cooler Alternatives You May Not Know About
- Costco Just Lifted Mask Mandates in These States, But Is Your City Excluded?