work for you?
What You Need to Know About Shopping at Macy's on Black Friday
When the month of October came and went with no sign of Macy's Black Friday ad, a lot of us wondered why the retailer had broken from its tradition of an early ad release. Finally, with a week left until the shopping extravaganza of the year, Macy's has officially released a 48-page ad scan with some impressive last-minute deals.
Macy's is kicking off its Black Friday sale earlier than ever this year, with stores opening at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, and remaining open until 2 a.m. on Friday. The deals will continue from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Of course, you can avoid the crowds altogether by shopping online all day Wednesday, Nov. 23, through Saturday, Nov. 26.
Savings Pass Discounts
The store's ad includes two coupons for customers to use on select sale and clearance apparel, as well as home items, but neither one applies to doorbusters. Regardless, if you're shopping in stores or online, you'll want to keep them on hand for possible use. The first coupon is for $10 off purchases of $25 or more, and the second is for $20 off purchases of $50 or more. Use promo codes FRIDAY25 or FRIDAY50, respectively, when checking out online. And remember that orders $50 or more ship for free.
Even though the store's Black Friday reveal is limited to doorbuster previews, it spans an assortment of products sitewide. We've broken down these doorbusters by category to highlight the best overall deals and pinpoint the ones to avoid:
- 60% off select women's coats, including petite sizes (reg. $150 to $420)
- 30% to 50% off select contemporary & designer brands, including petite sizes (reg. $20 to $498)
- $39.99 select Charter Club cashmere sweaters, including petite sizes (reg. $139 to $149)
The store's $39.99 price tag on Charter Club cashmere sweaters is consistent with its previous Black Friday promotions, and it matches Costco's upcoming Black Friday price, as well. In other words, this is probably the best we'll see on cashmere until after the holidays, so shop accordingly.
- $199.99 select Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger suit separates (reg. $600)
- 75% off packable down coats and jackets (reg. $125 to $195)
- $69.99 select Club Room cashmere sweaters (reg. $130 to $200)
While Macy's discount on those Club Room cashmere sweaters is notable, Bon-Ton will offer men's cashmere sweaters this year for $29.57, which is pretty hard to beat. Last July, we saw Kohl's sell its men's cashmere designs for only $13.20 each (or 92% off retail). If this is something he really needs now, Bon-Ton's deal is the best in show. Otherwise, wait it out for those summertime sales. The down coats and jackets are a decent price at around $31.25 minimum, but stores like JCPenney and Kohl's will have similar puffer styles for $29 with rewards and coupons to boot.
- 60% off select outerwear for babies, toddlers and kids (reg. $60 to $140)
- 60% off select dresses for babies and girls 2-16 (reg. $44 to $84)
- 60% off select Carter's playwear for baby, toddlers and kids (reg. $20 to $44)
Based on the listed prices, the lowest Macy's plans to go on Carter's baby apparel is $8, and we've seen far lower prices at Kohl's on this popular brand. In fact, Kohl's will have 3-pc. Carter's outfit sets for just $7.99 on Black Friday, and you'll earn $15 in Kohl's Cash for every $48 you spend.
- $19.99 and under juniors' clothing; online only (reg. $12 to $29.50)
- 50% off select juniors' collections (reg. $24.50 to $99.50)
- $19.99 select holiday and whimsy sweaters (reg. $49)
The thing about Macy's juniors' apparel is that the department store carries lots of coveted brands that Kohl's and JCPenney just don't offer. If your teenager is dedicated to these specific labels (like Bar III and BCBGeneration), then you'll at least get a price break with these Black Friday deals.
- $19.99 select women's boots (reg $59.50 to $69.50)
- 40% off select women's boots and shoes (reg. $49 to $109.50)
- $24.99 select men's boots and dress shoes from Unlisted and Alfani (reg. $59.99 to $80)
Macy's $19.99 offer on women's boots matches most other retailers', so you're getting a fair price on some quality footwear. The store is known for its shoe collection, so you may actually have better luck here than other places when it comes to on-trend buys.
Handbags & Accessories
- Extra 25% off clearance designer handbags (reg. $38 to $398)
- $19.99 select handbags by Kipling, Rampage, Style & Co. and more (reg. $38 to $88)
- $29.99 select handbags by Nine West and Ann Klein (reg. $59.99 to $99.50)
Our forums have already been buzzing about several clearance Coach purses on Macy's site, so this designer handbags sale is definitely one to watch. These luxe pieces always make impressive gifts, and if you can score a statement bag for $100 or less, that makes it even better.
- $249.99 Dyson DC39 Ball Multifloor Pro Canister Vacuum (reg. $579.99)
- 60% off all Holiday Lane only at Macy's (reg. $8 to $1,200)
This Dyson deal matches a previous frontpage Macy's offer on our forums, and it's the lowest we've seen this model sell for according to our Price Tracker. If this particular vacuum is on your shopping list, Macy's price is hard to beat. However, we've seen similar Dyson models go for $210 on Amazon, and refurbished ones go for far less. Keep this in mind when making your decision.
Bed & Bath
- $29.99 any size 800 thread count 4-pc. Mason sheet set (reg. $140 to $200)
- 70% off all memory foam pillows and toppers (reg. $50 to $1,050)
- 60% off all Charter Club damask 500 thread count pima cotton sheet sets, comforters and more only at Macy's (reg. $50 to $235)
Again, these offers come down to your specific wants and needs. Sheet sets with lower thread counts will sell for less elsewhere, but this is probably as good of a price on 800 thread count sheets as you'll find.
Kitchen & Dining
- $279.99 KitchenAid artisan stand mixers plus extra 20% off attachments (reg. $499.99)
- $7.99 select kitchen electrics after mail-in rebate (doorbuster $19.99/reg. $44.99)
- 65% off Christmas dinnerware from Lenox, Spode and Winterberry (reg. $2.50 to $482)
KitchenAid artisan stand mixers are all the rage this Black Friday, and they're at their lowest price yet this holiday season. That being said, Macy's is not the place to buy yours if you're in the market for this popular kitchen accessory. It will be $279.99 at Kohl's (most places are matching this price), but you'll earn $75 in Kohl's Cash right along with it.
Furniture & Mattresses
- $399 Sanibel queen bed only at Macy's (reg. $799)
- $499 Chloe tufted sofa (reg $899)
- $896 Beautyrest Recharge Athens twin, full or queen firm or plush pillow top 2-pc. mattress set
The Chloe velvet tufted sofa is currently at its lowest recorded price at $599, so the $499 Black Friday price is definitely its best yet. You can find similar styles at Walmart for even less, but this particular Macy's-only design has great reviews and comes in three classic shades.
- $15 women's or men's 6-pc. fragrance sampler; only at Macy's (reg. $30)
- $30 3-pc. Lancome Definicils mascara set (reg. $34)
- $35 MAC Nutcracker Sweet Red Retro Matte Kit; only at Macy's (a $61 value)
- $10 bareMinerals 5-pc. eyeliner set (a $56 value)
- $10 Estee Lauder 2-pc. sets (reg. $18.50 to $25)
- $10 Bobbi Brown 2-pc. mini mascara set (a $48 value)
- $8 Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion (reg. $24)
First off, these $10-and-under deals are reason enough to shop here for your Black Friday beauty needs. All of these brands make phenomenal stocking stuffers, and you can't go wrong with essentials like mascara, lipstick and eyeliner. The other great deal I see in this category is the 3-pc. Lancome Definicils set, because it qualifies you for the store's Lancome gifts with purchase. The 12-pc. Parisian holiday case, for example, is just $59.50 with any Lancome purchase while supplies last, and it includes $342 worth of Lancome makeup and skincare products. This is a great gift idea for a beauty addict, and you'll be getting 15 full-size Lancome products for $89.50. You can also add the Paris en Rose Skincare Essentials Collection to your order for another $39.50 (which includes six full-size products and a train case). Even better, any beauty purchase qualifies your order for free shipping, which is a nice incentive, as well.
As for the MAC Cosmetics holiday Nutcracker set, this price isn't exceptional -- in fact, it's the same price as the plum and pink versions. Macy's is, however, the only place you'll be able to grab this exclusive red set.
Jewelry & Watches
- 75% off clearance fine jewelry (reg. $300 to $14,295)
- 60% off all Le Vian jewelry (reg. $950 to $18,000)
- 40% off select designer watches (reg. $125 to $300)
When it comes to Le Vian jewelry, you may be better off shopping at Belk. According to our forums, Belk will feature its entire stock of fine jewelry clearance (including Le Vian) for 75% off. This promotion is valid all day on Nov. 23 at belk.com.
Luggage & Accessories
- 60% off Samsonite luggage and business cases (reg. $70 to $680)
- $49.99 Tag Springfield III 5-pc. luggage set only at Macy's (reg. $200)
- 60% off TravelPro luggage (reg. $200 to $900)
At $49.99, the 5-pc. Tag luggage collection is at its all-time low according to our Price Tracker, so there's no denying this is a good deal for this particular brand. That being said, JCPenney will have a 5-pc. luggage set for $39.99 (reg. $180), and you'll even score a $10-off-$10 coupon at the door if you shop early.
Which of these Black Friday deals will you go for next week? Share your top picks in the comments below, and browse the ad scan in its entirety here.
Images courtesy of Macy's.
Add a Comment