Do you remember when there were 1,000 cable channels and nothing to watch? Or a shelf full of books you didn’t feel like reading? That was so 2010s. We don’t have to live like barbarians anymore; in 2019 we have 1,000 premium streaming and subscription services to choose from! Hot on the heels of the big Disney+ content preview, Potterheads will be happy to learn you can now pre-order a Wizarding World Gold subscription, AKA the only media subscription service dedicated to all things Harry Potter.
Wizarding World Gold is the premium version of the Wizarding World app, which came out last August, and costs $74.99 a year. We don’t know precisely when the subscription service will go live, but the website and press releases say that it will arrive in “Autumn 2019.”
Wizarding World Gold Member Benefits
In addition to the free version’s quizzes, polls and fanzines, Gold comes with a variety of exclusive perks including digital offerings and unique swag.
- Keys and Curios, an interactive and personalized journal. Each member will receive their own unique journal with their name and Hogwarts house embroidered on the cover, along with other personalized surprise content inside. Spread throughout the journal are Enchanted Keys, which you can scan using the app to unlock hidden secrets and writing activities. The Enchanted Key content will change monthly. Those who pre-order Wizarding World Gold will be the first to receive their journal.
- Collectible pin badges. Members will receive the Enchanted Key Emblem badge along with your Keys and Curios journal with more to collect over time.
- A postcard-sized print of J.K. Rowling’s sketch of Hogwarts.
- Early access to limited edition Wizarding World merchandise.
- All seven eBooks from the original Harry Potter series. Access to the books will only available for the duration of your subscription.
- Access to the Wizarding World Originals video series, The Workshop and From The Archive. The Workshop will show special footage and interviews from the creative teams behind the Wizarding World and From The Archive will show a variety of other behind-the-scenes content.
Muggle World Perks
- Admittance to Gold subscriber events, such as A Wizarding World Christmas Party in the Great Hall at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London.
- Discounts from Harry Potter related shops, including the Wizarding World shop, the Platform 9¾ shop in London’s King’s Cross Station and the shops at both Warner Bros. Studio Tour London and Hollywood.
- Discounts on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Exclusive Vacation Package at the Universal Orlando Resort.
- Priority access to tickets for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child shows in London, New York and San Francisco.
The digital subscription is also available in gift box form, which is an exciting potential present for the die-hard Potter fans in your life.
All told, this subscription service isn’t too bad considering the hefty price of all seven books and full-price entry to the parks. However, there is one glaring omission that might prevent Wizarding World Plus from becoming a competitive premium service: Where the heck are the movies? As it stands, the only non-cable service that offers the Harry Potter films built-in is FuboTV, which starts at a hefty $54.99 a month. Cable users can stream the movies via USA and SyFy channels, but it does seem odd that this dedicated Potter fan service wouldn’t include one of the franchise’s most important properties.
Whether or not Wizarding World Gold is right for you depends on your fandom priorities. Those who enjoy physical swag and visiting the Wizarding World brick and mortar locations will certainly get their money’s worth, but the digital media offerings might not be worth the cost of admission.
If $74.99 seems like too much to pay for an annual subscription service, set a Deal Alert and we’ll let you know as soon as there’s a discount on Wizarding World Gold.
You also might like this hot movie deal from our Frontpage:
Search URL: https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?firstonly=1&pp=20&sort=newest&rating=frontpage&filter%5B%5D=7860&forumid%5B%5D=9&hideexpired=1&r=1
Image Credit: wizardingworld.com