Sam’s Club is a long-time favorite for shoppers who love to score bulk buys for less. And while joining the basic Sam’s Club Member’ program earns you access to all of the store’s discounted goods, the retailer also offers an upgraded Sam’s Plus membership with its own set of perks outlined below to help you decide which membership is best for your family.
Are the Extra Benefits of Sam’ Plus Worth the Extra Cost?
We’re looking at all the advantages of a Sam’s Club Plus membership in order to find out.
Before You Consider Sam’ Plus Membership, Here are Recent Deals on Basic Membership
For Sam’s basic membership, there are great deals going on now to make a 12-month membership essentially ‘free.’ These deals are summarized below, and you can read more on how to make them “free” and see exact details on what you get for each price –from free foods to gift cards.
Sam’s Club Member 12-Month Membership, Gift Cards + 1 Free Item
Sale Price $35 | Savings: 58% OFF | Reg. Price (value) $84.98
Sam’s Club Member 12-Month Membership, Gift Cards + 3 Free Items
Sale Price $45 | Savings: 61% OFF | Reg. Price (value) $117.92
Sam’s Club ‘Free’ Basic Membership Starting at $45
Until June 16, 2020, Sam’s Club itself is offering a special promotion that can get you a membership basically for free with $45 in cashback offers after signing up.
Sam’s Club Plus Membership Cost
A Sam’s Club Plus Membership costs $100, which is $55 more than the regular basic membership. However, you can upgrade your Sam’s Club Plus membership for a prorated cost at any time of the year. [For example: If you purchase a basic membership for $45 in January and decide to upgrade to “Plus” the same year in June, you will only have to pay an additional $58, bringing your total cost to $103 for Plus level status.]
Additionally, we see frequent Sam’s Club membership deals (as noted above). This means you can grab a basic Sam’s Club membership for practically free, and then upgrade to a Plus membership if and when you’re ready.
Sam’s Club Plus Membership Benefits
Sam’s Club Plus Members Earn Cash Back on Qualifying Purchases
Shoppers earn $10 for every $500 they spend at the store (pre-tax) and can accrue up to $500 in a 12-month period.
This means that if you spend $100 per week, you’ll earn back your $100 membership cost in a year (in 50 weeks). And if, for example, you have a big family or a business and spend $250 a week at the warehouse store, you will earn $260 cashback in a year (which covers the $100 Sam’s Club Plus annual fee and nets you an extra $160 cashback to spend).
Another worthwhile perk: you can shop up to three hours before other shoppers. Plus members get access to the store starting at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday. It’s a great option for early risers or those who like to shop before work.
Sam’s Club Plus Members Get Free Shipping on Everything
Don’t feel like shopping in-store? Plus members also receive free shipping to their door or business without having to meet spending minimums.
Sam’s Club Plus Members Get Free Prescriptions and Health Care Item Discounts
A Sam’s Club Plus membership can help you save on your health needs, as well. Plus members receive five free select prescriptions, with an additional 30% select name-brand drugs. You can also save 20% on a pair of eyeglasses and get free shipping on contact lenses.
Examples of Sam’s Club Member Savings
Along with cheap gas and groceries, Sam’s Club often offers additional savings on top of already low prices. Here are some recent examples of the types of deals you can expect:
- Discounted Gift Cards: You can regularly find $50 restaurant gift cards for just $39.99. Right now, you can buy a $50 Krispy Kreme gift card for $37.50 or a $50 Bob Evans gift card for $37.50.
- Extra Savings for Online Orders: On your first online or club pick-up order, you can save $15 off of $50. Just choose items that ship free or that qualify for in-store pickup.
- Discounted Memberships and Subscriptions: You can often find local gym memberships and other popular subscription services at 20% to 30% off in the warehouse. In the past, members have been able to get a year subscription to Spotify for $90 (a $120 value).
Savings on Everyday Items Along With Ones on the Wish List:
** Bio Bidet Aura A7 Special Edition Elongated Smart Bidet toilet seat (in white) for $199 for Sam’s Club Members
** 19oz. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream with Pump for $11 with free in-store pickup for Sam’s Club Members
** AeroPilates Reformer Workout Equipment for just $269 + free shipping for Sam’s Club Members
** Peg Perego Team Baby Stroller for $500 for Sam’s Club Members
Is a Sam’s Club Plus Membership Right for Me?
Still not sure if the Plus-level membership is the right one for you and your family? Here are a few questions to consider before committing to the upgraded membership:
- How much do you spend on groceries each month? If you spend at least $400 a month on groceries, electronics and other warehouse deals, then the Plus membership will basically pay for itself.
- Do you have a business? Running a business is hard, but a Sam’s Club’s Plus membership can make it a little easier. Not only will you earn cashback on purchases, but you can also take advantage of free shipping. If your company is short on toilet paper or cups, you can quickly place an order instead of running to the warehouse.
- Do you hate crowds? If shopping at your local warehouse with everyone else in your city gives you hives, then the Plus membership is worth investing in. You can shop early in-store starting at 7:00 a.m.
No matter what membership tier you decide on, Sam’s Club deals pop up often. Set a Deal Alert to save the most with your new Sam’s Club Plus membership.