Getting older has its perks, especially when it comes to traveling. There are several senior travel discounts that can help you save big on your next trip. We’ve gathered tons of the possible travel deals for seniors out there, along with age requirements and other important must-knows so you can spend less time researching.
Rental Car Discounts for Seniors
Many rental car companies have partnered with the AARP to offer senior discounts. An AARP membership costs $12 a year and offers hundreds of discounts on restaurants and travel companies. If you don’t want to join the AARP, you might be able to find similar or better rental car company discounts through its special offers page.
- EZ Rent-A-Car (50+): Save 10% with a senior discount coupon found on EZ Rent-A-Car’s coupon page.
- Avis (50+): Avis partnered with AARP to offer members 30% off.
- Budget (50+): Budget is also partnered with AARP to offer members 30% off their car rental.
- Hertz (50+): Save 20% each day you rent a car through Hertz’s 50+ program.
- Thrifty (50+): Thrifty’s Silver Club offers 5% off rental cars.
- Zipcar (50+): AARP members save 43% off their Zipcar membership, which is a car-sharing program in the U.S., Canada and the United Kingdom.
Hotel Deals for Seniors
If you are also a veteran, check to see if the following hotels have a similar or better discount for military-connected individuals.
- Best Western (55+): Best Western offers up to 15% off of all hotels and resorts. You will be asked to show proof of age at check-in time.
- Candlewood Suites (62+): Candlewood Suites advertises that it offers a senior discount but doesn’t say the exact savings. Our best guess is that it’s a 10% discount.
- Crowne Plaza with IHG (62+): Crowne Plaza offers a senior discount on any non-discounted room.
- Choice Hotels (60+): Choice Hotels offers 10% off for seniors and AARP members alike. Just select “Seniors/AARP members” from the dropdown menu when booking or call 800-4CHOICE (800-424-6423) and request the senior rate.
- La Quinta (50+): AARP members save 10% off of their La Quinta booking. Sometimes La Quinta offers a 15% discount for Veterans.
- Marriott (62+): Marriott used to offer up to 15% senior discounts from its main site. Now, it looks as if select Marriott hotels or resorts might offer an additional discount for seniors. For example, the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center currently has a 25% discount for seniors. Call Marriott’s reservation line (888) 236-2427 to inquire about senior discounts before booking.
- Motel 6 (60+): Motel 6 offers a 10% discount on its rooms at more than 1,400 locations. Select “Senior Rate” in the dropdown menu when booking, or call 800-899-9841 and ask for the senior discounted rate.
- Omni Hotels and Resorts (55+): Omni offers rooms at a senior rate for prepaid bookings. These rates are non-refundable.
- Hampton by Hilton (65+): Seniors save up to 10% on the best rate available at Hampton by Hilton rooms. Just select the senior rate when booking, and be prepared to show a valid ID at check-in.
- Wyndham (60+): Wyndham Hotels and Resorts offer special senior pricing when booking through its senior discount page or when booking by phone: 800-225-3297.
Flights that Offer Senior Discounts and Perks
A few airlines allow you to select “Senior” for passenger type when you search for flights. Discounts vary by airline, and you can call an airline’s customer service to ensure you get a senior discount or if you need any other accommodations on your flight.
- American Airlines (65+): American Airlines offers discounted senior tickets on select international flights. To find the senior discount, choose “Advanced search” when booking a trip and select “Senior 65+” under the passenger drop-down menu.
- British Airways (50+): If you’re an AARP member, you save $65 for economy class and $200 for business class on British Airway flights.
- Southwest (65+): Southwest allows you to select yourself as a senior when you enter your trip details in the search engine. However, senior discounts are ending December 11th, 2019.
- United Airways (65+): United Airways also has a drop-down menu for you to select “Senior 65+” when you first search for your trip.
- Delta (65+): Delta Airlines offers select discounts for seniors, military and bereavement, but you need to contact Delta’s customer service directly at 800-221-1212.
Cruise Coupons for Seniors
Many cruise lines offer an additional senior discount on top of sale prices. Sometimes you can find these discounts by searching, but many times it’s easier to call the cruise line’s reservation number directly or to book through a third-party site, like Vacations To Go, which allows you to search by senior discount.
- Carnival Cruise (55+): Check Carnival’s senior discounts when searching fares. You must be 55 and older at the time of sailing. It is not a flat discount across all cruise ships. Instead, some ships and destinations might offer better senior rates than others.
- Celebrity Cruise (55+): Celebrity Cruise allows travelers over 55 to check a box when searching for fares, though it is not clear which ships or destinations offer a discount. It is best to call 888-751-7804 to ask about specialized senior pricing.
- Royal Carribean (55+): Royal Carribean offers reduced senior prices on select cruises. Call 866-562-7625 to find out which destinations qualify for a senior discount.
Tours and Other Important Travel Discounts for Seniors
If you’re planning to use rail travel for any part of your trip, Amtrak offers a 10% discount for travelers over 65. Similarly, Greyhound offers a 5% discount for individuals over 62. Though, if you’re a veteran, you get a 10% discount at the station. If you are traveling to Canada, the VIA Rail offers those 60 and over a 10% discount.
While not necessarily a specialized senior discount, there are tour groups and packages available for senior travel. These are great time-saving options if you aren’t sure which activities you want to do during your trip. Here are a few resources to get you started:
- Adventures Abroad: Adventures Abroad offers small group senior travel plans packages in more than 120 different countries.
- ElderTreks: ElderTreks offers exotic adventures for seniors. Packages include visiting the pyramids in Egypt and exploring the rainforest in Costa Rica.
- Road Scholar: For lifelong learners over 50, Road Scholar offers destinations that are full of engaging information along the way. They offer packages in all 50 states and 150 countries.
Finally, consider joining AARP for $12 per year if you are 50 or older. The AARP membership can get you exclusive discounts not offered to the public. You can also access senior travel discounts earlier since you don’t have to wait until 55 – 65 to use your AARP membership to benefit.
Do You Need Travel Insurance for Seniors?
Travel insurance is wise to have at any age because it can protect you and your finances if you need to cancel your trip last-minute or have a medical emergency overseas. Yes, many travel credit cards come with some level of insurance for trip interruptions or lost baggage, but they do not cover everything.
You want to be prepared for any medical emergency if you travel internationally. Even something as common as a stomach bug can hit you harder when you’re already jet-lagged and in a new area. You don’t want a quick trip to the emergency room for relief to cost you as much as you paid for your trip.
Travel insurance for seniors can be secured for a single trip no matter your age or pre-existing medical conditions. Look for plans that also cover dental expenses, just in case you chip a tooth or break a crown.
Each insurance company varies, so plan ahead and get a few different quotes from different insurance companies. For example, we got a quote from Travel Guard for a 57-year-old traveler from California who was going to spend two weeks in Italy. The highest coverage cost $261 and covered $100,000 in medical coverages, 100% trip cancellation and 150% trip interruption.
Here are five well-rated travel insurance companies to help you find the best quote for your trip:
Traveling is fun at any age, but if you are over 50, you can start bragging about your senior discount and explore the world for less. If you want to make your vacation spending go further, check out the latest travel credit card offers in our Credit Card Hub.