Let’s first face the facts. If you’ve got a teen in your life, they really just want money. But where’s the joy in giving a check or a gift card when there are so many awesome options out there for fun presents? I live in Los Angeles and in my household, there’s a yoga-loving, bookish 15-year-old girl who has just discovered chai and bath products and a sports-obsessed, music-loving 18-year-old boy who finds himself at college on the East Coast battling cold for the first time. I’ve put together this list with them in mind. I’ve also tried to keep to a budget – the majority of the gifts are under $50 with a couple of splurges.
Before you buy, make sure you have the Slickdeals extension downloaded – it will automatically apply any relevant coupons and flag all deals when you’re checking out. It does all the discount hunting work for you.
I know scarves and gloves are only a slight step up from giving socks, but if it’s cashmere that makes it a bit more special.
- Uniqlo has excellent cashmere scarves – Sale Price: $39.90 | Reg. Price: $49.90
- Macy’s Charter Club cashmere gloves – Sale Price: $29.99 | Reg. Price: $69.50
- Alex Mill neck warmer is a splurge at $65, but teens are less likely to lose it and it could double as a mask in a pinch – Reg. Price: $65 (save 15% for signing up with your email)
For Savoring Screen-Free Time
Definitely don’t want to overdo it here, but there’s always a few books that will pique their interest.
- My daughter likes crime mysteries. You can’t go wrong with Ruth Ware’s new book One by One, Reg. Price (hardcover) $16.79, or Tana French’s latest – The Searcher, Reg. Price (hardcover) $16.97
- And if your kids love reading about sports, you should try When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball, Reg. Price (hardcover) $16.19 and Dream Team, Reg. Price (hardcover) $15
- They wont thank you for this one, but it’s such a great book for helping kids think differently about their lives – especially as they think about college, jobs … life. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Reg. Price (paperback) $7.13
Soothing Tea for Everyone
Since Covid hit, tea has become a big thing in our house. It’s comforting and less intense than coffee.
- For chai try Portland-based One Stripe Chai Company’s gift set that includes a strainer, chai and a turmeric latte blend – Reg. Price $32 (Plus, 10% off for trading email)
- Mix it up a little and try these bag-free Tea Drops – Reg. Price $16.99
- I also love the idea of a tea subscription – check out Simple Loose Leaf tea company on Amazon – Reg. Price: $5.50 for the first box and $12.99 thereafter
The Gift of Pampering
I am a big believer in clean skincare and ignoring gender when it comes to pampering. A good face wash is a good face wash. And who doesn’t love a pine-scented candle over the holidays?
- We are obsessed with the natural skincare brand Cocokind, and it works for both kids. You can buy through Cocokind site, and get 10% off if you sign up for their newsletter. Or go through Amazon if you’re lazy like me. I recommend starting with the cleanser – Reg. Price: $18
- Candles – because a bath is not complete without candles. Try the three-wick candles from Bath & Body Works, Reg. Price $24.50 or Sweet Water Decor Lavender and Sage on Amazon, Reg. Price $24
- Solid perfume from Lush in frangipani, Reg. Price $13.95 or a honeysuckle scent from Santa Barbara-based store available on Amazon, Reg. Price $10.95
- Hair dryer and brush in one – perfect combo from Revlon – Sale Price: $29.39 | Reg. Price: $59.99
- Yoga isn’t really pampering – it has become a necessity in the past months. Youphoria on Amazon sells great yoga gear including a Yoga towel – Reg. Price $13.95.
Consider a Few Splurges
Sneakers for the boy; he loves his shoes. He’s sure to love these Nike Blazer Mid ‘77 Vintage shoes, Reg. Price $100. And a cashmere v-neck for the girl. Everlane’s v-neck is a good weight for Los Angeles, Reg Price $100 (save 10% on first order if you sign up for emails).
How to Save No Matter What You Buy or Where You Shop
Set a Deal Alert for any number of the above gift ideas, and we’ll notify you when there’s a great deal. Navigate great deals like this offer —and multiple sales at once by setting Deal Alerts on Slickdeals for items you need and are already shopping for, and by checking our coupon pages for current promo codes for your favorite stores.
You can also download the Slickdeals browser extension to help save you money when you shop online. It auto applies coupon codes before you check out and can also show you any active deals our community of over 12 million active deal hunters has found as you visit any of the hundreds of supported stores.
- Earn $75 to Shop Items Already on Your List During Kohl’s Black Friday Week
- Score a Free $20 Best Buy Gift Card with This Black Friday Bundle Deal
- Our Favorite Black Friday TV Deals So Far