Don't Overpay for These Popular Black Friday Doorbusters
It's easy to get caught up in the hype around Black Friday with every ad scan deal made to look like it's the best. Doorbuster deals, in particular, tend to show prices that are too good to be true. If you visit Slickdeals throughout the year, however, you know that many Black Friday deals are mostly equal to, or sometimes even worse, than what we see throughout the year.
We took a look at some of the products we believe will be high on peoples' wish lists, as well as featured heavily in Black Friday ad scans. Then we researched all the deals posted in 2017 for those products to determine what a truly great deal looks like. You can use this list as a reference point once stores begin releasing their Black Friday ads in the coming weeks to know if you're actually getting a good deal.
Xbox One S
The full retail price for a 500GB Xbox One S bundle with a game is $279.99, but don't ever pay that. We've seen nine deals for $200 or less since June, with the lowest being $179 for the "Battlefield 1 Special Edition" bundle from Jet.com.
- If a Black Friday bundle deal is $200 or less, buy it right away. If it's more, it could still be a decent price, but not the best we've seen.
- Look out for inflated bundle deals where you get a second controller, but end up paying $249 or so. The value of the extra controller is $35 (that's what we see deals for all the time), so a bundle with two controllers should be around $235. Otherwise, buy the controller separately.
- We're seeing console-only deals advertised for $190 in early released ad scans, which is still good, but only $10 less than the good bundle deals.
PS4 and PS4 Pro
PS4 bundles have not been dropping in price as much as Xbox One S consoles this year, but you can still find plenty of deals for them.
- We're setting our price target for $220 or less this Black Friday for the 500GB Slim console bundle. It won't be the lowest price, but that's still a good deal.
- The lowest price we've seen so far this year was $209 for a 500GB PS4 Slim console with the "Uncharted 4" bundle from Target. Buy one right away if you come across that price.
- We already know Kohl's will feature a 1TB PS4 Slim console (no bundle) for $199 plus $60 in Kohl's Cash, and that's definitely a great deal. Just don't forget to spend the Kohl's Cash before it expires.
- The PS4 Pro has not had a good deal all year, and last November it only dropped $30 down to $370. We might see it for $350 or regular price with additional games and accessories. Any discount you can get on this is worth considering.
There are a lot of variables to consider when buying a TV these days. From HDR and OLED screens to black levels and refresh rate, it's easy to get confused if you haven't read up on these things. For Black Friday, all doorbuster TV deals are usually derivative models, meaning they lack a lot of the important stuff. That's why they're that cheap. However, there are still good TVs available and these are the price ranges to look for.
Low-End 4K TV Models
- 50 to 55-inch: Doorbuster deals will be in the $280 to $400 range.
- For reference, the 55" LGUH6090 4K Ultra HD Smart HDTV was $299 in May.
- 60 to 70-inch: $450 to $600
- 75-inch+: $750 and up
- Brands include Westinghouse, Haier, Element, Sceptre and Hisense.
- Always do a Google search for the model number to find out the quality (it'll look something like UN55KU6290.) If you can't find any reviews, it's most likely a Black Friday edition, and then you have your answer.
Good 4K TVs
- 50 to 55-inch: $500
- 60 to 70-inch: $800-$1,300
- For reference, the 65" Sony XBR65X750D 4K HDR Smart HDTV was $899 in September.
- 75-inch+: $1,500 and up
- Brands include Samsung, TCL, Vizio, Sony and LG.
Great 4K TVs
- 50 to 55-inch: $1,300+
- For reference, the 55" LG OLED55B7a OLED 4K HDR Smart HDTV was $1,399 in August.
- 60 to 70-inch: $2,500+
- 75-inch+: $3,000+
- For reference, the 75" Samsung UN75KS9000 4K SUHD HDR Smart LED HDTV was $2,999 in June.
- Brands include LG, Sony, Samsung
- The best thing you could do is to actually go to a store that carries the TV you're considering and look at it in person. Look at it from the same distance you would at home when sitting on your couch. Chances are you might not be able to tell the difference between the $3,000 TV and the $1,500 model.
- Kohl's will have the 38mm model for $249, and they'll throw in $75 in Kohl's Cash. If you ignore the Kohl's Cash, this is not a stand-out deal.
- Target had the same Apple watch on sale in May for $199, so we're setting that as our target price for Black Friday (pun intended).
- A great deal for the 38mm watch would be around $229, or $259 for the 42mm.
- You'll probably find this price in several ad scans, but stores like Target might also throw in $40 in gift cards to sweeten the deal.
- We know Kohl's will have the 38mm for $329 plus $90 in Kohl's Cash, which is the same sale price as their deal from last month, but $30 more in Kohl's Cash.
- The 42mm should be available for $359, otherwise it's not truly a Black Friday deal.
There are a lot of different models and storage size options out there, so to make it easy we decided to list the best deals for each one so far this year. Use those to compare how strong the Black Friday deals are.
- iPad Pro 12.9" (WiFi) 64GB $650,
- iPad Pro 10.5" (WiFi) 512GB $849.99, 256GB $650, 64GB $550
- iPad Pro 9.7" (WiFi) 128GB $350, 32GB $260
- iPad Mini 4 (WiFi) 128GB $275
Kohl's will have the Google Home for $80 plus $15 Kohl's Cash, which is a great deal. We expect others will also feature the it for $80, so it comes down to who has the best bonuses.
Amazon recently announced several new devices, which began shipping on Oct. 31. Since they're brand new to the market, whatever discount Amazon might offer, it won't be much.
- Expect the best deals to be available only through Alexa voice ordering.
- We do know that the Echo Dot will be available for $30 at Kohl's, so expect Best Buy and other brick-and-mortars to offer the same deal.
- The original Echo is no longer available on Amazon, but you might see some deals from stores like Target, Best Buy or Bed Bath & Beyond for $80 if they still have them in stock.
- The Fire 8 HD 16GB tablet should be in the $50 range to be considered a great deal; if you want the 32GB model, it should be offered for around $80.
- The Fire TV stick will be available for $30, which is $5 cheaper than what we've seen so far this year.
- Amazon's 4K TV -- Fire TV Edition -- will probably be available at its Prime Day price, which was $399 for the 55-inch TV (currently $629).
- Expect store gift cards in the $250 to $300 range as bonuses for buying a new smartphone this Black Friday. These should be available for the newest phones, including the iPhone X.
- Sam's Club is having a one-day sale on Nov. 11 and will offer $250 gift cards on all iPhones, and $300 gift cards on all Samsung phones, including the Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8.
- Best Buy was offering up to $250 gift cards last year on iPhones -- expect the same this year. Samsung phones had the same gift card offer, but with a Samsung Gear VR headset as an added bonus. Target, Walmart and Costco will all probably offer the same deal, so buy from the store you shop at regularly to get the most use out of the gift cards.
Now you know what price ranges to look for when it comes to Black Friday doorbuster deals, so make smart decisions this November.
Add a Comment