Amazon Prime Day is a big deal, with big savings to take advantage of. The mid-summer sales event began in 2015, and is now one of the retailer’s biggest shopping days of the year. This year, Prime Day will fall on July 17th, but will start as early as noon Pacific time on the 16th. This means we will see a record-breaking 36 hours of deals!
In 2017, the deals lasted only 30 hours, and there was a total of $2.41 billion in sales by price-conscious consumers, surpassing sales totals for the previous Black Friday or Cyber Monday! If each of the 100 million Prime subscribers bought something, that would be about $24 spent per person.
Slickdeals wants to help you to hack the available sales so you can spend less on the things that you want. Wondering what deals to look out for this year and how you can prepare? Our guide will tell you what you need to know.
How to Get the Deals on Amazon Prime Day
There are deals to be scored on Amazon Prime Day, but to access them, you must be an Amazon Prime member.
Serious price hackers sign up for an Amazon Prime free trial that coincides with the sale (restrictions apply), but most people think membership is a good deal. Amazon reported that 73% of trial members become paid subscribers, and 91% of first-year subscribers renew for a second year.
Top Prime Day Deals
The number of Slickdeals’ top-notch Prime Day deals grows every year. In 2015, we had 45 top deals. This grew to 130 in 2016, and then, last year, our community found 196 deals worthy of making it to the Frontpage, which is where you will find the best deals on any given day.
To help us predict what savings are in store for the 2018 Prime Day, we analyzed the data from previous years.
Rankings from Slickdeals’ 10 million users reveal that free stuff has been the most popular deal for the past three years.
Our price analysis found that the average savings amount was $49, but some discounts were as high as $438. Calculated as a percentage of retail price, the average savings was 45%, but some deals were as extreme as 88% off.
We also found that a hot deal was about more than just price. The best deals are a combination of big savings and popular products.
Which Categories Have the Most Frontpage Deals During Prime Day?
Wondering what types of products typically have the best deals? We analyzed the data from our top-ranked deals to identify the categories that have the most sales. Here’s what we found.
Amazon Prime Day’s Top Deals
- Tech (Ex: Phone, Monitor, Storage) 25%
- Entertainment (Ex: Movies, Gaming) 12%
- Basics (Ex: Soap, Envelopes, Diapers) 9%
- Smart Home (Ex: Amazon Echo, Security) 9%
- Food (Ex: Protein Powder, Coffee) 7%
- Garage and Outdoors (Ex: Tools, Bicycle, Duct Tape) 8%
- Kitchen Gear (Ex: Appliances, Storage) 6%
- Bathroom (Ex: Razor, Toothbrush) 5%
- Clothes and Accessories (Ex: Watch, Backpack) 6%
- Kids (Ex: Car Seats, Hot Wheels) 4%
- Home and Office (Ex: Desk, Vacuum) 5%
- Pets (Ex: Toys, Accessories) 3%
- Other (Ex: Services, Gift Cards) 3%
Should I Buy Amazon Devices on Prime Day?
Amazon products are typically deeply discounted during Prime Day events, and Alexa-based devices are very popular sale items. During last year's sale, they sold “thousands per minute,” reported TechCrunch.
While the deals are good during Prime Day, you can find similar or better deals throughout the year. Rather than responding to the hype around what sales Amazon is promoting, you can instead rely on the hard price data to determine if the deal that they’re promoting is a good price.
In fact, sometimes other retailers have better deals on Alexa devices than Amazon! Subscribing to Slickdeals Deal Alerts can keep you in the loop about low prices and make sure you always get the best deal.
After analyzing 2017 and 2018 price data, we’ve identified the all-time low price on Amazon devices. If this year’s Prime Day deals beat these low prices, you can buy with confidence.
All-time Low Prices on Amazon Devices
- Amazon Echo (2nd Gen) for $80 at Amazon (Nov. ‘17)*Not yet on the market during the last Prime Day
- Echo Dot (2nd Gen) for $27.50 at Best Buy (Feb. ‘18)
- Echo Show for $130 at Target (Dec. ‘17)
- Echo Spot for $104 at Amazon (March ‘18)*Not yet on the market during the last Prime Day
- Echo Plus + Philips Hue Bulb for $91 at Target (Nov. ‘17)*Not yet on the market during the last Prime Day
- Amazon Tap for $65 at MassGenie (Sept. ‘17)
- Fire 7 Tablet for $30 at Amazon (Prime Day ‘17)
- Fire HD 8 Tablet for $42.50, Target (Nov. ‘17)
- Fire HD 10 Tablet for $85, Target (Nov. ‘17)
- Fire 7 Kids Tablet for $70, Best Buy (Aug. ‘17)
- Fire HD 8 Kids Tablet for $90, Amazon (Prime Day ‘17)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote for $25, Amazon (Nov. ‘17)
- Kindle Paperwhite for $90, Amazon (Prime Day ‘17)
- Kindle E-reader for $50, Amazon (Prime Day ‘17)
* All Prime Day prices in this list were matched later in the year by either Amazon or other merchants.
How to Prepare for Prime Day
Preparing to make the most of Prime Day deals is not like training to run a marathon, but it does take some preparation.
Expect some hot deals to sell out quickly. To get the shopping speed you need, set up 1-click ordering on Amazon before Prime Day, so you don’t miss out on the hottest deals that sell out fast.
There are also some exclusive deals. Before Prime Day, enable Alexa voice ordering so that you can access potential Alexa-exclusive discounts.
Additional Tips for Succeeding on Prime Day
When shopping during Prime Day, there are tools that can help you to shop wisely. With the goal of getting low prices on good products, here’s what we recommend.
First, you should price check to make sure that the sale is actually a good deal. An easy way to check prices across all retailers and see previous sales is to search Slickdeals for product to see how Prime Day sales compare to previous deals.
Next, you should fact-check product reviews. To help you decide if that 4.5-star product rating is legit, use Fakespot to separate paid reviews from real ones. Some companies pay others to review their products highly to encourage you to buy them.
Need help sorting through the available sales to find the best deals? Slickdeals can help.
Add a Comment