The way we watch movies has shifted tremendously in recent years, but Warner Bros.’ latest move is of the most revolutionary changes in streaming history. For the first time, a major studio has committed to simultaneously releasing all of their films both in theaters and on a streaming service. This is great news for HBO Max subscribers, as they will be able to stream new blockbuster films at no additional charge.
New Warner Bros. movies will be available on HBO Max for a full month after their release, after which they’ll be removed from the service. You’ll still be able to watch them in theaters, but it’s not clear exactly when the movies will be available for purchase or digital download. A statement from Ann Sarnoff, Chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios, clarified that this operation is a “unique one-year plan” and will likely not extend into 2022.
As a side effect of the new plan, HBO Max is discontinuing it’s free seven-day trial subscription. This will go into affect in the days preceding the release of Wonder Woman 1984, which premieres on December 25th, 2020. HBO Max currently costs $14.99 a month, making it one of the pricier streaming services on the market. Opting for a six-month subscription for $69.99, however, gets you a 20% discount when compared to the monthly subscription.
Seeing a movie in a theater costs an average of more than $9 per person these days. That means a family of four would typically spend at least $36 every time they go to the theater. And that’s not even considering concession prices, which can skyrocket the cost of a single trip.
Considering that HBO Max allows you to watch new movies like Wonder Woman 1984 as many times as you want for an entire month, and gets you access to the entire HBO Max library, in our estimation the price tag is more than fair.
Here is the full lineup of films scheduled to release both in theaters and on HBO Max:
- Wonder Woman 1984 (December 25, 2020)
- The Little Things (January 29, 2021)
- Tom & Jerry (March 5, 2021)
- The Many Saints of Newark (March 12, 2021)
- Reminiscence (April 16, 2021)
- Godzilla vs. Kong (May 21, 2021)
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)
- In the Heights (June 18, 2021)
- Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)
- The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)
- Dune (October 1, 2021)
- Elvis (November 5, 2021)
- King Richard (November 19, 2021)
- The Matrix 4 (December 22, 2021)
- Sherlock Holmes 3 (December 22, 2021)
- Judas and the Black Messiah (TBA 2021)
- Cry Macho (TBA 2021)
- Malignant (TBA 2021)
- Mortal Kombat (TBA 2021)
Stay up to date on all the latest streaming service discounts by setting a custom Deal Alert for your favorite service.
- Mulan is Finally Available on the Disney+ General Library
- Wonder Woman 1984 Will Premiere on HBO Max This Christmas and Some Can Watch it For Free