Sometimes Amazon purchases are just easier to return in person, rather than shipping them back and hoping the delivery is processed in a timely manner. Thankfully 1,100+ Kohl’s stores (excluding Anchorage, Alaska) can accept and process your Amazon return for free.
Is it really as simple as dropping off your unwanted purchase at almost any Kohl’s? For the most part, yes! Here’s a quick summary of how Amazon Kohl’s returns work in 2021.
How To Do Amazon Returns at Kohl’s: A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Begin your return at Amazon’s Online Return Center
All return processes start at Amazon.com. Log in to your Amazon account and go to “Your Orders” under “Accounts & Lists.”
Check the item you want to return and select “Return or Replace Items.” Then, choose the reason for the return from the drop-down menu and how you want your refund processed.
2. Select “Kohl’s Dropoff”
From there, select your method for the return. If “Kohl’s Dropoff” is an option for you, it will be included in your list along with other options such as UPS Dropoff or UPS Pickup.
Unfortunately, some buyer locations will not be eligible for Kohl’s Dropoff. For example, I live nine miles from Kohl’s and am unable to make an Amazon return there. Additionally, certain Amazon items (like items sold by third-party sellers) are excluded altogether.
3. Get a QR code
With Kohl’s Dropoff selected, continue following the steps to receive a QR code for your return. You can either print the QR code or present the code in-store via your smartphone. There’s also an option to print your own shipping label if you want to pack the item yourself, which can be helpful for sensitive purchases. You can also bring the product to Kohl’s without any packaging, and they’ll find a new box to put it in.
Obtaining a QR code is a must because the Kohl’s Amazon return counter doesn’t have any computers to help you access your account — only a simple scanner to read a QR code. In other words, Kohl’s is just serving as an alternative to UPS or the USPS. If you don’t have that QR code, you’re out of luck.
4. Bring your return to Kohl’s
Once you have your QR code, just bring the item(s) you’re returning to Kohl’s. Kohl’s typically processes Amazon returns in their customer service area, which is where shoppers can return Kohl’s merchandise, too. Many Kohl’s have separate lines for Kohl’s and Amazon returns, making the process even speedier.
As a bonus, you may even be rewarded for returning your item at Kohl’s. Slickdeals writer Lesley Sheridan said that her Amazon return at Kohl’s earned her a 25% off Kohl’s coupon to use right away in-store.
5. Kohl’s packs, labels and ships your return for free
Once you’ve received your drop-off receipt, the process is considered “complete” for the customer. No need to stand around and watch them pack your stuff for you. Sheridan said, “I dropped off my Amazon return at Kohl’s around 8 p.m. and received an email saying that my refund was processed within about an hour. Obviously, credit card processing takes longer. But in terms of Amazon’s processing, it was complete.”
You can always check your Amazon return at Kohl’s tracking status on Amazon’s Online Return Center.
Kohl’s and Amazon Returns: What Amazon Items are Eligible for Returns?
Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing which items are eligible for Kohl’s return before you purchase them. However, Amazon will take back most new and unopened items that were sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery. Items purchased from third-party sellers are not eligible for free Kohl’s returns. Amazon gifts are eligible as long as you have the order number, though refund options vary depending on how the gift was purchased.
Some refunds can take two to three weeks to hit your account, but most Amazon items are refunded in a week or less. Getting a refund via Amazon gift card takes only two to three hours after the refund is processed.
— David Cohn (@dctechie1) April 14, 2021
The Pros & Cons of Amazon Kohl’s Returns
The pros of Amazon Kohl’s returns depend on if this service is available to you. For those who live near Kohl’s, the pros likely outweigh the cons.
- Convenience: If you live near a Kohl’s, dropping off returns can be quick and easy.
- No printing return labels: If you have a smartphone, there’s no need to deal with printed return labels or paperwork — just a few clicks on your phone will produce the QR code needed.
- Fast processing: As soon as a Kohl’s employee scans the QR code, your refund is being processed.
- No packaging required: Kohl’s will do all of the packing, labeling and shipping.
- Designated parking spots: Customers with Amazon returns get their own parking spots near the front at most locations.
- Potential savings: Many customers receive an in-store Kohl’s coupon for 25% off just for making the return.
- Potential ineligibility: If you live more than eight miles from a Kohl’s, there is a good chance you can’t select it as an Amazon return spot. Check your Amazon return options to see if you are eligible.
- Handling heavy returns: You are responsible for carrying your returns into the store, even if they are extremely heavy. We recommend leaving the oversized returns to porch pickup methods.
- Required travel: Even if a Kohl’s store is conveniently located on your route, you will still need to drive there, get out of the car and make your return in-store.
- Sometimes there is a long line. If you have only one Kohl’s in a 20-mile radius, return lines can be a hit or miss. My Kohl’s return line always seems crowded and Twitter user viggy28 can relate.
— Vignesh Ravichandran (@viggy28) January 31, 2021
If you live near one of their locations, head to Kohl’s with Amazon returns to save yourself time and hassle. Your refund can be started completely on your phone as you wait in Kohl’s parking lot. No need to scrounge around for a box or packing materials because a Kohl’s employee will take care of that.
With the return process made so simple, you can shop at Amazon with confidence, knowing that you don’t have to stress over buying a new tech gadget or Amazon-brand fashion piece. If you don’t love it, you have the option to drop it off at Kohl’s for a free and quick return.
No matter where you’re shopping, be sure to set a custom Deal Alert before you buy. We’ll keep you updated as soon as a new discount hits our forums.
- Amazon has the Best Price on AirPods Pro Right Now
- These Top-Rated Standing Desks Start at Around $100 on Amazon