Today's Best Macy's Deals
Voted by the Slickdeals Community
- Converse Men's Chuck Taylor High Top Sneakers (Blue) $22.50 & More + Free S/H on $99+ or $9.95 S/H $22.50 74
- Men's Nike Breathe Quarter-Zip Training Top $20 $20 128
- Martha Stewart Essentials 1.5-Quart Stainless Steel Tea Kettle $7.50 & More + Free Store Pickup $7.50 32
- Mens Cashmere Sweater $29.99 Macys.com $29.99 3
- Google Home Hub for $99 plus F/S at Macys $99 12
- International Concepts Men's Ozzie Studded Wingtip Leather Oxfords $15, Alfani Men's Jayme Embossed Drivers $15, More + free store pickup at Macys $15 0
- Macys Dresses Flash Sale, Additional 50% off: Prices from $14.50 + free shipping on $99+ $14.5 1
- Macy's - Men's Big & Tall Polo Ralph Lauren Polo - $23.96 $23.9 3
- Citizen® Signature Grand Touring Mens Stainless Steel Watch NB1031-53L $406.30 $406.3 3
- Costco Members: Women's adidas Terrex CMTK Outdoor Shoe $30 (Reg. $90) + Free Shipping $30 2
- Macys Jewelry Flash Sale: 70% off Select Fine Jewelry, 50% off Select Watches 1
- Contigo 2-Pc Kids Autoseal Trekker Water Bottles $7.13 $7.13 1
Some coupons may work beyond their expiration date.
It's difficult to name a retailer more iconic than Macy's. The historic department store with the signature red-star logo may be best known for its annual Thanksgiving Day parade, but it's also a surprisingly good destination for consumers looking for deals on everything from home goods to designer apparel. Whether you're a loyal Macy's customer or just trying to branch out from your Amazon Prime membership, we're sharing how to score some slick savings using Macy's coupons, promotions and a variety of rewards and incentives.
Let's start with the inside scoop: Here are a few tried-and-true techniques some Slickdealers have used at Macy's to stretch their hard-earned dollars:
- Shopping online? Try abandoning your cart. Macy's has been known to send customers coupons on items left behind as an incentive to buy.
- Shopping inside a Macy's store? Connect to the store's Wi-Fi for a potential coupon.
- If you see an item that you like but notice an imperfection, you can ask a sales associate for a discount. Associates are typically allowed to deduct a small percentage for damaged or imperfect merchandise, which could include a missing button or perhaps a cosmetics stain. Don't abuse this, of course, but keep it in mind in case you see an item that simply needs a little TLC to get back to its original state.
- Sign up for store emails to receive coupons and sale alerts. (A no-brainer, but still.)
- No coupon? No problem. Ask about any current offers at the cash register. Sales associates typically have any available coupons on hand, and most are happy to scan them for you.
- Call for help. My mom (yes, she's a Slickdealer) recently phoned customer service after her online Macy's transaction glitched, and she scored 20% off her purchase for the inconvenience. If you're experiencing technical issues or are confused by a coupon's fine print, contact customer service to get things resolved. You'll likely get a promo code applied to your order just for making the phone call.
1. Shop During Macy's One Day Sale
Ask most Macy's shoppers about the store's best promotions, and they'll likely mention the popular "One Day Sale." Despite the name, this promotion actually lasts for two days -- and shopping on the "Preview Day" of these sales gets you the same deals with fewer crowds. One Day Sales usually include 20%-off coupons and a range of discounts storewide, but you'll want to check the clearance section for the biggest savings, with items marked down by as much as 65%.
"Super Saturday" sales usually include a %-off savings pass and a coupon for $10 off $25 or even $20 off $50. Unfortunately, you can't combine these two offers -- Macy's limits customers to one coupon per transaction. Other popular promotions include sporadic "Pop-Up" sales and bi-annual "Friends & Family" events (usually 20% to 25% off, respectively).
Of course, some Slickdealers have noticed that these sales events don't always have the lowest prices. Do your homework by checking out pre-sale prices. Once the sale has started, see if the list price went up to determine if you're actually getting a good deal. After all, Macy's was recently sued for allegedly fudging its listed MSRPs to make sale prices look more impressive.
2. Utilize promo codes and savings passes.
The store offers frequent coupons and promotions, which you can find over on our Macy's coupon page. Known as a "Savings Pass" or "WOW! Pass," these coupons offer percent- or dollar-off discounts throughout the store, and can often be used for both online and in-store shopping (though WOW! Passes are typically in-store exclusives.)
The list of restrictions on Macy's coupons reads like a book, so your best bet is to put your items in your shopping cart, apply a code and hope to see a price drop. (No joke -- as Slickdealer gogo2390 concluded, the fine print "pretty much excludes everything.") Also, the code may say 25% off, but oftentimes that discount varies from department to department. In other words, you may get 25% off pajamas but only 10% off cookware. One steadfast rule, however, is that these savings passes and promo codes won't apply to Deals of the Day, DoorBusters or WebBusters.
3. Earn (and redeem) Macy's Money.
If you're familiar with "Kohl's Cash," you'll find that the same basic principles apply to Macy's Money. During select time periods, Macy's rewards its customers with Macy's Money to use toward future purchases. For instance, you can earn $10 for every $50 you spend either online or in stores.
One great thing about Macy's Money is that you can use it in combination with any ongoing promo code since it's applied as a rewards card and not as a coupon. However, it's only valid for a limited timeframe, so check the expiration date.
4. Score free shipping on every order.
For most of us, online shopping is an absolute dream, especially when we get free shipping. Macy's standard shipping rate is $10.95 for orders less than $99 and free shipping for orders of $99+. Of course, the store regularly offers reduced shipping costs ($8 or $5 flat-rate shipping) and oftentimes lowers its free-shipping minimum to $49 or even $25 -- but there's one guaranteed way to get free shipping on each and every Macy's order you make: Just add a beauty product to your cart. All beauty purchases ship free, and you'll find items for as low as $4. Not a beauty buff? Shop through the Macy's app and pick your order up in your local store free of charge. Macy's also offers free returns by mail, which is the best.
5. Take advantage of cardholder perks.
Depending on your circumstances and how often you shop at Macy's, opening a store charge card could potentially increase your savings.
First off, there are two types of Macy's cards: the Macy's credit card and the Macy's American Express card. Each one includes "Star Rewards" that are earned on a tiered level depending on how much you spend in a year. This chart breaks these incentives down per tier, from "Preferred" members to "Elite" and "Premier Elite" customers:
Additionally, the Macy's American Express card can be used anywhere American Express is accepted and includes exclusive travel offers for Premier Elite members only.
A Macy's Star Pass is a cardholder-only perk that's issued between three and 12 times per year, depending on your spending level. These passes may give you a certain discount off your next purchase can't be combined with an in-store coupon or online promo code.
Macy's cardholders can also enroll in Plenti to maximize their savings. This free-to-join rewards program lets customers shop at different stores (Macy's, Rite Aid, AT&T, Exxon, Mobil and Nationwide, for example) while earning points on their total purchases. Without a Macy's credit card, you only earn one point for every $10 you spend, while purchases made with a Macy's credit card or Macy's American Express card, earns one point for every dollar spent and two points for every dollar spent on beauty and fragrance purchases. Macy's American Express cardholders can also earn double points on qualifying purchases at gas stations and grocery stores.
Another benefit of opening a Macy's charge card is that the store will give you 15% to 20% off your first purchase. This is a one-time-only type of deal, so use it wisely, and note that the discount maxes out at $100.
Keep in mind that the APR for Macy's credit cards is currently a whopping 25.74%... so proceed with caution.
6. Set up a gift or wedding registry.
Another great way to save money at Macy's is by creating a wedding or gift registry, because you'll get rewards on purchases you make and gifts you receive. Here's the trick: If you're a Macy's cardholder, you can enroll in the Star Rewards program outlined above. When you open a wedding or gift registry as a Star Rewards member, you'll earn 10% on the items you buy, plus 5% on registry items your guests purchase for you. You'll receive your rewards in the form of a Macy's gift card.
7. Download the Macy's app.
Be sure to download the Macy's app if you haven't already (right now, you'll score an extra 25% off on your first order just by doing so). You can scan barcodes for prices, receive deal alerts and browse the weekly sales all from your mobile device. As I mentioned earlier, you can also buy online through the mobile app and pick up your items in store free of charge.
Another great aspect of the Macy's app is that it stores the latest offers, Macy's Money and payment options in your mobile wallet to allow for a quick and easy transaction. Plus, you can pay for your order using PayPal One Touch or Apple Pay.
Images courtesy of Macy's.