Groupon is currently offering the NYS Online Defensive Driving Course for $19. Take 20% off with promo code "Sale3" which brings the total down to $15.20. Didn't seem like that bad a deal considering what I've seen other courses going for, and the fact that you save 10% off of your insurance premiums for 3 years.
From the NYS DMV Website:
What are the benefits of taking a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
Completing an approved course will
- refresh your driving knowledge
- help to prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
- 4 points are 'subtracted' for the purposes of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points
- the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
- learn about the New York State point system
- reduce the base rate of your auto and motorcycle insurance premiums 10% each year for three years