Before I start, I have to state that this is a huge YMMV and feel free to thumbs down all the day if it doesn't work
I was able to order the Google Pixel 2 XL phone from Verizon yesterday and after speaking with CSR via live chat, I also received a $170 bill credit + $30 upgrade fee waived ($200 total for those who are not good in math).
Here is what I did:
1. During the chat, I explained that I was interested in order the phone, however, tmobile was offering a promo where they offered $325 credit for customers switching over to Tmobile
2. I had this promo here to show them: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/g...el-2-offer
3. CSR said they could not match another provider's offer since they can't discount new phones
4. I said OK, can you transfer me to a Supervisor in Customer Care dept.
5. I went through the same points with the Supervisor and asked what Verizon could offer to keep a existing customer
6. Same speech about not able to discount phones. He then said they are offering trade in value for my current phone, but I noted that the trade in values are not comparable to street values since I can sell it for more.
7. The supervisor then "looked to see what he could do"; and came back offering a $100 bill credit if I wanted to order the phone right then.
8. I said No, because some of that credit is wiped off with the $30 upgrade fee. I countered with $200 bill credit + waive the $30 upgrade fee
9. He said he could not do that, and said he can make it $200 collectivele; meaning he would waive the $30 upgrade fee and apply a $170 bill credit to make it a even $200. Additionally, this was a bill credit so I would not have to trade in my phone to get it.
10, I said OK, I can work with that and went ahead to order the phone.
He went through and applied the credit to my account while I waited (about 5 minutes) and had me login to confirm I saw the credit.
He then placed the order for the phone so he could wave the upgrade fee and again, had me confirm I could see the fee waived.
All in all, the whole chat/process took about 30 minutes with my order going through.
Some additional points:
- You still have to order the phone through the 24 month installment plan
- You still have to pay full price for the phone since they can't discount the phone. The bill credit is good for your monthly plan, accessories, etc.
- You have to pay tax on the phone up front when you complete the order, which is about $60 for me
Again, this might not be worth the trouble for some and might not work for others. $200 credit for 30 mins works for me; which net/net have me paying about $750 for the XL 128gb model.