work for you?
Editor's Notes & Price Research
Offer valid while promotion last. Get out of your contract with credit up to $500. Promo rates provided via monthly bill credits. $10/mo. router charge and their fees, taxes, equip. charges & terms may apply. Fios available only in selected areas. Great for those looking for a Internet Only plan to stream all available content - Discombobulated
It appears that even the advanced modem is included for no extra charge, YMMV. Others have reported they don't see the free modem.
Screenshot of pricing break-down attached.
Installation fee is also waived.
Note, this is new customers only.
They will not give you this price if you have existing service.
However, you can just cancel your existing service and have the installation done on the same day.
For those waiting for the $50 gift card it appears that the link to register will appear in your account either mobile or desktop few days AFTER you pay your first bill...approximately 30 to 40 days from activation and the actual GC itself will arrive 60 days from activation date so long as you have registered for it. So if you do not get an email after 40 days from activation, login to your account and check for the GC registration link under in account.
Check if your employer offers a Verizon Fios discount ($10 on bundle, $5 off internet only) at verizon.com/connections
To get/continue this deal if you are an existing customer that does not need ONT upgrade (if you're staying with the same speed, it should not):
This process looks long and complex but it really isn't, I just am giving lots of detail. This is my experience for INTERNET ONLY which is what this thread is about, and using my own router. Other services may require different process (at the very least you'll want to do this a couple weeks in advance, giving the same dates, to give time for equipment shiment etc).
This is my second time doing this for internet only, did the same thing last year.
Do this on the day before your billing date (on my account my bill date is 5/1, for service 5/2-6/1, so I called on 4/30). You can also do it a week or two in advance if you want, using the same date (your next bill date) for cancel/new. Note that they do NOT prorate internet - so make sure you get the cancel date right or you could get double billed for a month.
1. Call 1-800-837-4966 and go through the prompts. Say "cancel service" when it asks what you want to do. The rep will try to get you to stay, just tell them you're moving to non FIOS area or something (have a city in mind in case they ask). Or maybe say you have a new roommate/signficant other/etc that is signing up for a different deal in their name. You could be honest too, I don't think they care, but just in case...
2. Tell them to cancel as of your bill date (in my case, 5/1, the next day). They confirmed my next bill will be $0 and the service will shut down just after midnight 5/1. If they tell you to cancel the day before your billing date (today) "just in case" tell them no. They will then confirm there will be no charge for next month.
3. In a few mins you may get a call asking you to complete a survey about your experience. Just hang up. You will also probably get an email offering you a discount for staying with them. Mine was 44.99 with 2 year contract. No thanks.
4. If you want to use the same username on your new account, log into your current account that you just cancelled, click your name in the upper right corner, then Edit next to your user name. Add a number to the end of it. This will immediately free up your username for re-use and log you out. Remember the number you added in case you want to log in to get your final bill, etc.
5. Wait 30-60 mins (maybe not necessary but I wanted to make sure it is in the system and doesen't ask me for proof of residency etc).
6. Make sure your browser is logged out of your verizon account, disable ad blockers if you're doing cash back. Fully close and reopen your browser.
7. Link to Verizon through wherever has the best cash back.
8. Sign up for new service. Tell it "current resident is moving out". Ignore any chat windows that pop up with offers. There is no additional discount available for internet only plans.
9. If you have your own router (any brand/model) select that option and in the popup check off the "I understand" disclaimer. You do not need their router even though it says that's the only model that will work. Or if you want their router, choose one of those options. Note if you choose to use their router it will have to be shipped and you should do this process a couple weeks in advance to account for that. Still choose to cancel/install on the same date, the date of your next bill.
10. Ignore the techsure section that pops up next (unless you want it), just click on Check Out at the bottom after verifying the price at the top is correct.
11. You can use all the same info as your old account (except the username if you skipped step 4, in which case at the very end after placing your order, you'll need to give a new username).
12. There will be a hard credit pull, unless you want to make a security deposit, which they will hold for 1 year. If you check the "I don't want to give my SSN" then you will have to call in and either agree to credit check, or give the security deposit. This was a good test of Credit Karma alerts. I got an email within a few minutes notifying me of the credit check.
13. If you are on the last day of your billing cycle, it probably won't let you choose the next day for install date. This is ok, just choose the first date it allows.
14. You must enroll in auto pay at this time and give a bank account or DEBIT (not credit) card. Double check the info you give is correct. Otherwise your bill will be $10/mo higher and it is difficult/impossible to fix this without cancelling and signing up again next month. DO NOT attempt to change it to CC later and DO NOT attempt to prepay with credit card before your auto pay. You will permanently lose the $10 discount. Note that auto pay won't show active on your account for about 1 week, at which point you'll get an email saying they are processing your enrollment. Do not re-sign up for it during that time, just wait.
15. Finish your order.
16. Your existing service will shut down after midnight (early morning on the day you said to cancel it).
ACTIVATING NEW SERVICE
17. Call 1-800-837-4966 in the morning. If you used the same phone number as your old service, you need to say "NO" when it asks if that's the number you're calling about. Otherwise it will access your old account info.
18. It will ask for an alternate phone number or account number. Say "I don't have it". Then give your order number (just the numbers) when prompted.
19. It will ask if you're calling to inquire about your recent order. Say "NO". Then when it asks what you want, say "Activation".
20. It will transfer you to a rep. Tell them you want to activate your new service, and the previous service was shut off early this morning. They will need your order number again. Tell them which port you want to use, Ethernet or Coax. They will probably ask you to unplug your router while they do the activation.
21. When they say it is ready (5 mins or so), plug the router back in, let it boot up fully, and launch a web browser. It should redirect you to their activation page, if not, navigate to activate.verizon.com. If that doesn't work, ask them to confirm the port being used. If you have to troubleshoot further, they may not do it with your own router. You can try plugging your computer directly into the ONT Ethernet port and see if they'll work with you then. However I've never had any issue with activation.
22. You have to confirm your identity via a couple questions and get a PIN via txt or email.
23. The next page asks you to install their app, below that is a link for "no thanks, continue activation" (hard to see it but you MUST click it to finish activation). Accept the T&Cs. It will take 30 seconds or so to activate.
24. Test your speed at speedtest.verizon.net. Do this test from a computer with a WIRED GIGABIT connection to your router or you may get artificially low results and waste time troubleshooting.
25. Tell the rep it is all set and disconnect the call (best to keep them on the line until everything is confirmed).
You'll see a shipment is being made to you. If you're using your router, there is just some junk welcome papers in the shipment. If you're getting their router, it will be in this shipment. You will need to wait til you get that router to activate.
If there is a gift card offer with your order, you should get an email at some point asking to claim it. It says it will be about 30 days after your order. Keep an eye on your junk folder. Activation link should also show up in your account in 30-40 days in case you don't get the email. My activation link is already there but it just takes me to verizon rewards+ which is something different. Give it a month or so.
As mentioned above, if you log into your account at this point it won't show any auto pay is set up. Do not set it up, you will get an email in about a week saying you have enrolled in auto pay. However now is a good time to go to Services - Internet - Manage Advertising Preferences and opt out of them tracking you.
-Blue text added/updated by Drinkingbird 5/7/2019
11/2018: i can't find the gig thread, so i'll post this here;
you can get a year of amazon prime membership for new gig fios subs.
they will send you a code, so you can add a year to your current prime.
in addition to the prime promo, some markets are getting $80-$5 off on gig speed alone.
YRMV: If you inquire about getting fios anything using your real information and email
then do NOT follow thru, you may get an email 2 weeks later with a $5 off code for the
next 2 years on 2/3-play, however it's possible to reduce that down to 100 internet only
and still get the $5 off their base price of $40. the code format is 4 letter plus 8 numbers,
i doubt codes are transferable and they only remain valid for a month.
How i disconnected from and signed up again within hours, same name, same address, same service (100mbs internet only), no VZ router:
If you have referral code from an existing FiOS customer - friend, relative, or a random internet contact - you should be able to get a $50 mastercard as well. Search google, reddit, fios forums, etc., if you need a code.
Your vote will help the community find the best deals.
Ron21 posted this deal
Giving Reputation Points is a great way to show your appreciation for their work.