You can get three months of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited for $0.99 by following the steps below. This beats the $2.99 deal that they are heavily promoting on their website.
- Visit the product page for any of the regular edition Kindle Fire Tablets [amazon.com](not the kids editions).
- On the right side of the page, beneath "add to cart" button there is an "Add Additional Items" list. Check the box for 3 months Amazon FreeTime Unlimited for $0.99.
- Add the Kindle Fire with subscription to your cart.
- Go to your cart and the Kindle Fire and FreeTime subscription are listed as separate items.
- Delete the Kindle Fire and check out with just the $0.99 subscription.
I did this last week in order use the subscription on Amazon Warehouse refurbished Kindle Fire. Worked absolutely fine and I created my own kids edition for less than half of the currently heavily discounted price (should work out to about $60 for the whole year including a generic kid-proof case). Doesn't come with a warranty, but that's worth it at this price. My kid loves it.
Note: This doesn't seem to appear for some accounts. I only see it when I'm logged into my account. Weird thing is I can still see it even though I bought it last week (I can add it to my cart, but it doesn't let me check out a second time because I have an active subscription).
Update: I chatted with Amazon to determine what happens when subscription runs out. Apparently, you are automatically renewed onto the month-to-month plan. Price depends on how many kids you have and whether you have a prime account. month-to-month pricing. [amazon.com]
. If you have Prime, One child = $2.99 per month, multiple children = $6.99 per month. If you don't have Prime, One child =$6.99/month, multiple children =$9.99 per month.
This is still a good deal, especially if you have one kid and Prime like me (I'll pay $27.90 for the whole year). But it's very sketchy that they don't tell you this anywhere, unless you chat with them. I can't figure out any way to manage this, prevent it, or unsubscribe. So if you don't want this, set up a calendar reminder to cancel in 3 months.