Admittedly, $19 for a charging cable ain't bargain basement but for those like me that were issued a new MacBook and iPhone 8 at work, $19 is worth the convenience of not having to deal with plugging a cable, into a dongle, into your MacBook while traveling.
As per the Business Insider article I read last night: [businessinsider.com]
- Apple recently cut the price of the USB-C to Lightning cable from $25 to $19.
- What's notable about this cord is that Apple hasn't let any third-party cable makers create authorized versions yet. If you need one, the only manufacturer that sells one that's guaranteed to work is Apple.
- This is the cord you need if you want to plug the latest iPhone directly into the latest MacBook without a dongle.
- There's one powerful reason to buy this cord, too: It can charge your iPhone X or 8 super-fast — as much as 50% battery in 30 minutes.
- If you have a MacBook or similar wattage charger, you can swap the USB-C cord for this Lightning cord, essentially allowing you to charge your phone with your laptop charger.