Need not to freak out account being not working after porting out neither on activation fee charges. All these are common and wait for your second bill/~12 days and you would only need to pay the second bill, Prorated and your activation might be waved. I closed mine on the same day, so I paid $3 but for P3, you need 24 hours to be with verizon to remove the activation lock in P3 phones.
Tax paid on full retail price. No new line needed. Just need a Verizon line to put the phone on, new or old account. Many users are in concordance that you should order online now as in-store pickup is not an option and stock will be very limited (you probably won't get the configuration you want by chancing an in-store visit).
For those looking to pay off early, you can do so just as fast as similar deals. Since this is NO bill credits, the price truly is RETAIL - $400! Worth clarifying that 50% off is the max discount for the Pixel 3 64GB, it gets less and less as you choose more options like XL or 128GB.
Trying to summarize the steps for people buying online from BestBuy.
1. Select the phone you want and you have to add a plan.
2. Let them activate a new phone number for you (or port over an existing number if you intend to stay with Verizon).
3. Buy a H2O sim card if you want to cancel service via the port out approach. Link[ebay.com] to eBay offer of 2 for $0.99.
4. Wait for phone and sim to arrive.
5. Open and activate phone with Verizon sim in place.
6. Wait about 1 day and then swap sim cards and port to H20, transferring to a Pay as You Go plan (you will let this lapse and no charges will be applied).
7. Swap sim again, but this time to your provider of choice.
8. Wait for final bill to arrive from Verizon which should be for the balance due on phone of your choice (less $400 BB promotion), any prorated plan usage (one day or so), and activation should drop off as you've closed account within 3 days.
This only applies to the port out method but should keep you in the relative good graces of Verizon, vs. the cancel service and pay off balance with cash or app approach which has the possibility of p***ing them off and may result in a ban.
If you would rather not go through the porting process and are willing to risk it by cancelling directly instead of porting, you can call the customer care team at 800-922-0204. At least two people have reported doing so without negative repercussions (just be sure to have an answer prepared as to why you are cancelling).
You can still try going to the store, but take your SS# card and your Drivers license, so the store can try force something after talking to Verizon.
TROUBLESHOOTING: If your phone yields the activation error "Can't activate - Sorry we're having trouble activating your phone. Contact customer service at (800) 922-0204." AND your phone was shipped to you, AND you received it ahead of schedule, there's a chance you will encounter activation issues due to receiving the phone ahead of schedule.
To remedy this, follow up with Verizon or Best Buy. Several posters in this thread were successful in getting the activation issue resolved by working with Verizon's CORE team, which you can reach via 1-800-307-8327 per GreenCrow.
TROUBLESHOOTING: If you are trying to pay off your device via the My Verizon mobile app and encounter the error: "You can't pay off this device just yet. Device payment buyout not available until <15 days from now>. Only a refund or exchange can be processed to change devices.":
You can work around this by:
1) Make sure that you've already added your payment card (e.g. credit card) to your Verizon account. You can do this on the web site, for example.
2) In the My Verizon app, in the top right corner, click the Help icon, that looks like a question mark within a speech bubble. This will open a chat dialogue.
3) In that chat screen, type "pay off device" and press the Send button
4) The chatbot will prompt you to select the device, and it will walk you through the prompts to pay off the device.
If you are having trouble getting into the My Verizon app, because it won't send you a one time code, clear the app data, and the app cache (both of them) then try again.
You can also pay off the phone via the robot chat on the website. If you go to the support tab and open the "chat" window you get the robot assistant and can type pay off device and do it there without using the phone app at all. (after adding a payment method same as app)
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.
Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.