Forum Thread

Ibotta Pay Quesion

27 53 August 30, 2019 at 02:58 PM
Deal
Score
0
674 Views

Thread Details

0 Deal Score
674 Views
I have Ibotta and I have used Ibotta pay a few times. It basically works like a gift card. My question is, does Ibotta pay stop me from getting my credit card rewards points? It would be silly to get 1% cashback at Walmart using Ibotta and losing 2.5% cashback on my credit card.

4 Comments

1

Sign up for a Slickdeals account to remove this ad.

This comment has been rated as unhelpful by Slickdeals users
Joined Nov 2005
L10: Grand Master
30,439 Posts
3,908 Reputation
#2
The only way I could see that happening is if it's treated like a cash advance which I find highly unlikely. It seems what you are doing is basically compounding your cash back - if you get 2.5% everywhere, by combining with ibotta @ 1% you're now getting 3.5%. If instead your CC works for higher cash back at a specific store or category of store then you'll have to evaluate that. It seems the charge will go through to ibotta, not the eventual retailer, so say you have a card that gets you 2.5% back @ WM but 1% everywhere else, you're losing out on 1.5% by using ibotta pay.
Reply Helpful Comment? 0 0
This comment has been rated as unhelpful by Slickdeals users
Joined Dec 2017
L2: Beginner
27 Posts
53 Reputation
Original Poster
#3
My card is 2.5% across the board. I just wasn't sure if there would be an issue with a purchase that looks like a gift card. When you use Ibotta pay it runs through the store's system as a gift card. I see what you are saying....
Reply Helpful Comment? 0 0
This comment has been rated as unhelpful by Slickdeals users
Joined Oct 2009
If It's Free, It's for Me
2,558 Posts
695 Reputation
Pro
#4
Based on my experience, Ibotta Pay purchases go toward your "all other purchases" category spending. For Amex, it is categorized as "other-miscellaneous". So I get my 1 point with Amex plus the percentage CB from Ibotta.
Reply Helpful Comment? 0 0
This comment has been rated as unhelpful by Slickdeals users
Joined Oct 2009
If It's Free, It's for Me
2,558 Posts
695 Reputation
Pro
#5
I noticed the other day that Ibotta accepts Google Pay now. I dont have to store my card within their app anymore. If you have an iPhone, check if they accept Apple Pay.
Reply Helpful Comment? 1 0
Page 1 of 1
1
Join the Conversation
Add a Comment
 
Link Copied to Clipboard