I know this is going to sound like one of those stupid "save money!!!" type blogs that seem to be everywhere, but.... You can trust this post more since I earn zero dollars for posting it
I have been a long time user of receiptHog, and up until a few days ago , did not realize (or never really researched) there were other apps that appeared to do exactly the same thing. I have just started using three others as sort of a "money multiplier" i.e. earn more per receipt.
I know this may not be for everyone as the payouts can take quite a long time to post, but if you are doing 4 of them, then theoretically, you will be geting 4X the rewards.
Anyways, I thought I would pass this list along for anyone who did not know about these.
In a nutshell, you scan your receipts (i.e. grocery stores, gas etc..) and then earn in app currency , and then cash it out after reaching X amount of "dollars" in the app.
I am NOT
posting any referral links , just the normal links to the app websites (found via googling the app name) as that goes against SD TOC, and please do NOT
add any referral links in the comments thread as (I assume) SD will take them down and may ding your account.
One additional note, all of these apps allow you to cash out via Amazon/PayPal etc.. They also all seem to have better cashout options the more in app cash you convert. I will not call out each app's nuance.
Also, each app will have different sign up bonus's. You can find them via google as everyone is happy to share their referral links
And finally, this is strictly a list of receipt scanning cashback apps. I know there are others like dosh, ibotta, drop etc.. that pay you for your shopping habits, but this list is STRICTLY for receipt scanning apps.
LIST OF APPS
Receipt Hog [receipthog.com]
- This is the one that I have been using the longest, and (to me) seems the most straight forward and easy to use. You simply scan your receipts, and can cash out at the $5 level. I generally save up for the $30 cashout which saves the most , but it does take roughly 6 months. As an added bonus, I have used the stored receipts a few times when trying to do an instore return. You can search by store name etc.. and find older receipts.
Receipt Hog has a waiting list.
- This one is specific to grocery stores only but seems to build up earnings quickly. Similar to things like Ibotta, this will give you bonus earnings on certain items. Cashout starts at $3 and I think there is a $4 signup bonus still floating around. That is what I used a few weeks ago when I signed up.
- This one is very similar in design to ReceiptHog, but nowhere near as nice . This one allows you to link your email and amazon for additional earnings. Cashout starts at $5 . Much like receipt hog, you can submit any kind of receipt (normal limitations apply).
- Apparently born from a Shark Tank pitch, this app is the LEAST polished of the four. It is so bad, I would assume the app was designed in an intro to app making class or something. However, it is the LEAST restrictive in what receipts can be submitted. I think if you take a picture of ANYTHING it will add to your balance. You can only submit like 5 or 10 receipts a day, and each receipt earns a random amount of money, typically 1 to 3 cents, although some have been as high as 10 cents! I have no idea how they determine these amounts. You can cash out once a week regardless of your balance , to an amazon gift card. You need to save up to $10 for cashing out via PayPal. I just requested my first cashout today ($4!! who hoo!) and they said it can take up to 5 days, so we will see.[
- I guess I forgot that Ibotta is also a receipt scanning app , technically. This one is the opposite, you need to purchase certain items from certain stores (i.e. a brand of milk from Walmart) and then you scan the receipt to earn money for that item. One nice perk that makes this app a WHOLE lot easier to use is that they started linking certain grocery store loyalty programs to the app. That means you no longer have to upload your receipt to get money back for buying things. I just wish there was a way to "add all" offers so that they just automatically gave you cash back. You still have to go into the app to find and add items to your offer list.
I personally like the receipt scanning apps the best out of the shopping tracker apps as the info you give them (i.e receipts) feels less invasive vs linking a credit card or something. For minimal work, you can build up savings quite quickly, and you always have the added bonus of having your receipts stored electronically.
Anyways, this may not be for everyone, but I hope it helps someone!
I will add a wiki to this post , so feel free to add any other receipt scanning apps you know of (please NO REFERRAL LINKS!!!) that might be useful.