Qatar Airways just introduced a new flexible booking policy on Thursday that allows new bookings made before the end of September to be allowed unlimited changes for free with few restrictions.
Unlike most existing "book with confidence" policies, customers can change the origin city as long as it's in the same country, as well as the destination so long as it's within 5,000 miles of the original destination city.
The policy doesn't charge any change fees, including fare differences, and flights can be changed an unlimited amount of times as long as travel is completed before December 31.
A $494 ticket from Washington, DC to Yerevan, Armenia can be changed to New York to Singapore with no additional fees if the requirements are met.
I was unable to find the $494 ticket from DC to Armenia but I did find a $600 ticket from DC to Mumbai which I then changed the date to October and the destination to to Perth for free. The ticket would have been $1,560 otherwise.
As of May 17th these are the 9 restrictions to rebooking:
1. Canceled flights are eligible for a full refund to the original form of payment regardless of the ticket's booking class.
2. The value of canceled tickets will be valid for two years, giving you extra time to rebook a future trip when you think it's safe.
3. You're eligible for a 10% bonus if you exchange your ticket for future flight credit instead of a refund, so a $1,000 refund becomes a $1,100 flight voucher toward future credit.
6. You can exchange your ticket for Qmiles at a rate of 100 Qmiles per U.S. dollar, effectively letting you purchase miles at 1 cent each. Note that this is still 0.2 cents per mile higher than TPG's valuation of 0.8 cents per point.
7. You can change the date of your flight, the origin airport (so long as it's in the same country as originally booked) and the destination anywhere within a 5,000-mile radius of your original destination as many times as you'd like.
8. You must wait 14 days from booking to make voluntary changes to an itinerary, and the same booking class must be available on the new itinerary.
9. This policy only applies to flights via Qatar's hub in Doha (DOH); it's not available on fifth-freedom flights between other countries.
Hope this helps! Stay safe!