Edited October 20, 2020
at 11:37 PM
I have been looking for an external Blu-ray drive to rip 4K UHD disk for Plex. I did extensive research. This LG BP50NB40 is one of the cheapest and most reliable options to achieve it. You need to get some files from MakeMKV website to flash the correct firmware. This drive doesn't say that it officially support UHD, but the actual drive in it is the same as the drives that officially support UHD. They are just rebranded with different firmware
I picked mine up, and it came with 1.02 firmware. You want 1.01 or 1.02. Here are the steps to flash it.
1. Download two files from this thread. https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933 [makemkv.com]
2. Unzip the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019).zip file go into it and find the file HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.02-NM00700-211811011016.bin under the folder
[mk-firmware-pack-20200720] -> [MK] -> [old]
3. Flash the bin file with the .exe file that comes with the zip. You will now have the MK version of the 1.02 firmware.
4. Then use the same .exe file flash the DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin file from the 2nd zip. You will now basically have the LG BP60NB10 drive.
5. Remember this guide is for firmware 1.02 only. If you get firmware 1.01 or 1.03 the instructions are different.
Now you can use MakeMKV to rip UHD Blurays. I just used it to rip the Dynasties from the recent Best Buy deal.