Deal DetailsLast Edited by unlockedshaders October 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM
A 4G USB modem stick requires a $49.99 refundable security deposit.
A 4G mobile hotspot requires an $89.99 refundable security deposit.
Shipping is $4.99.
Plans and charges: http://www.freedompop.
Overages are charged at $20 per GB or $0.02 per MB.
You can do various things to earn free data, such as inviting friends or fulfilling offers. You can also pay more for premium services.
Here's a hands on by PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2...411,00.as
Since the modem / hotspot are Clear rebadges, here are reviews of the Clear products.
USB Modem: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2...021,00.as
SITE IS MISLEADING. All new accounts since 2013 purchase the equipment on a non-refundable basis.
Video Review of Photon Device
Comment on the issues you have with them (like their change of device refund terms, or data rounding issue, etc) in their Twitter and Facebook page.
How to file FCC Complaint
Visit the following links. The more complaints, the more the FCC will look into unlawful business practices.
- Based on user experience, FreedomPop calculates data usage every 15 mins. This data is also rounded up to nearest MB(Link to rounded up confirmation). Even though it only use few kilobytes of data like checking email does every 10 minutes, freedompop data metering rounts up to one full megabyte This translates to a minimum of 4MB per hour for a device that simply checks email or 2880MB per 30 days because freedompop's rounding methodology. Home Burst Hub has been confirmed to round up only in reporting, not actual usage, so a few KB will show up as 0 or 1 MB over a while, only when it accumulates to the next MB.
Comment: I've received word from FreedomPop that they may have had a mix-up between owners of the MAC addresses in their database. Therefore, you may have been shown / charged the data usage for another customer. A fix is supposedly under way. -unlockedshaders
- Only work on Clear 4G WiMAX network. No 3G network.
- Terms [freedompop.com ] Inactive account fee: If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we will charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active.
- they will be switching from 4G WiMAX to LTE in As early as June 2013. The equipment they have now won't work with LTE but current equipment may be supported through up to 2015.. (no detail what they will do. Freedompop CSR said the switch could involve paying more money to exchange for a newer device. The coverage area during this transition may change so your current WiMax device my actually be superior to an LTE device due to coverage.
- Note: FreedomPop has changed their Terms and Conditions few times already. Please read the latest terms for Equipment and others information
- There are few SDers complain their credit card info stolen and used after they used the credit card at FreedomPop. May want to monitor your credit card bill more carefully.
- refund the deposit (less any amounts that you owe to us) to your registered payment method
- FreedomPop is still actively providing the same Equipment to users of the Broadband Service
- you (or we) terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service within 1 year of the start date of your subscription (won't get refund after ONE year)
- deduct from your deposit refund all amounts owed and unpaid for any Services and for any Equipment you return that is damaged due to neglect, misuse, liquid damage or non-standard wear and tear. (sounds like only allow refund if it is "NEW" or "LIKE NEW" condition)
- there is RESTOCKING FEE for opened item. Also customer pay for shipping.
EDIT 12-1-12 THERE IS A RESTOCKING FEE - Charged a restocking fee of $8.25. Device and packaging were spotless.
From Patrick, Customer Service:
"Your device was received in good condition and the majority of your deposit was refunded. We were charged a small fee by our logistics partner to replace packaging and re-polish the device. This fee was deducted from the deposit at cost per our T&Cs and should be nominal. We're totally committed to making internet as free as possible, including the device, but when we're are charged a real fee, we need to deduct that from deposit or we'd be forced to make users buy the device outright which we're trying to avoid. "
EDIT 1-7-2013 RMA categorized as B-stock (visible damage). Refunded $67 of the the $89 deposit. Device and packaging were spotless as well.
After inquiries via email asking for explanation, customer service stalled for about 3 weeks, then refused to provide any further explanation or proof, stating:
"I have received confirmation from our logistics provider that the condition of your device was correct and your refund amount reflects that. This is the response they sent to me "Yes, this was properly graded as B-stock. The device was not in perfect physical condition."
This conflicts with the allowance in the Service Plan terms for "reasonable wear and tear":
Terms as of October 4th, 2012 attached. (They HAVE been changed, but this is original terms when "I'" signed up.)
Check coverage in your area. Not available in all cities in US as per the coverage map:
SPEED TEST RESULTS
|Location/zipcode||Speed Dn (Mbps)||Speed Up (Mbps)||Speed add on (Y/N)||USB Modem OR Hotspot||Notes||Date|
|North San Antonio||2.5||1.2||(?)||?|
|Houston TX (77059)||5.7||1.9||(?)||?|
|Downtown Los Angeles||6.34||0.72||N||Hotspot|
|Baltimore||9.3||2.0||N||Hotspot||Outdoor, very near to signal tower|
|Chicago town||6.20||5.09||(?)||?||Test 1 of 4 in Chicago town|
|Chicago town||8.42||1.90||(?)||?||Test 2 of 4 in Chicago town|
|Chicago town||2.90||1.94||(?)||?||Test 3 of 4 in Chicago town|
|Chicago town||4.12||2.23||(?)||?||Test 4 of 4 in Chicago town|
|Nashua NH near FAA||7.5||1.5||N||?||Average of several tests|
|Maitland/Winter Park FL||5+||2+||N||Hotspot||Average of several tests|
|Orlando FL||5+||2+||N||Hotspot||Average of several tests|
|Thornton Park FL||5+||2+||N||Hotspot||Average of several tests|
|University Park FL||5+||2+||N||Hotspot||Average of several tests|
|North East of Atlanta||5.9||1.1||N||?||Outside ATL Perimeter in Suburbs|
|Seattle WA (U-District)||9.80||2.17||N||?|
|Minneapolis MN town||9.96||2.22||(Y)||?||Sculpture Garden|
|San Francisco (94122)||4.25||1.25||N||?||Inside house|
|Sacramento CA||8.9||1.12||N||Hotspot||Outside Park|
|Sacramento CA||7.5||1.3||Y||Hotspot||Tested on freeway||10/12/12|
|Sacramento CA||6.1||.67||Y||Hotspot||Tested on freeway||10/12/12|
|Sacramento CA||3||.62||Y||Hotspot||Tested on freeway||10/12/12|
|Sacramento CA||3.5||1.3||Y||Hotspot||Tested on freeway||10/12/12|
|Marina Del Rey CA||8.55||1.40||N||Hotspot||Tested in parking lot||10/15/12|
|Culver City CA||6.80||1.41||N||Hotspot||Tested at City Hall||10/15/12|
|Downtown Los Angeles||8.51||1.46||N||Hotspot||Tested in parking lot||10/15/12|
|Walnut, CA||10||2.76||N||Hotspot||Business Building||10/18/12|
|Burbank, CA||10.37||1.42||N||Hotspot||Inside Apartment||10/30/12|
|Piscataway, NJ||6.65||0.49||N||Hotspot||at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School||2/1/13|
Toll free support (thanks to MeatCatalog)
FREEDOM FRIENDS BONUS DATA
You get an additional 50MB per month for each "Freedom Friend" you connect with through your account. Also, you can share extra data with them that you won't need that month, etc. ...very cool.
THIS IS NOT A REFERRAL as both of you are already subscribed to the service. You can add up to 10 friends for extra 500MB per month, every month. Or keep more connected friends to give or receive MB when you need it before the next cycle.
To see a list of emails of people who agree to be added, go to THIS THREAD: https://slickdeals.net/f/5276432-FreedomPop-Friends?v=1
What is says on the Find Friends page:
Earn Free Data by Connecting with Friends!
Find your friends on FreedomPop and earn free data. The more friends you connect to, the more free data you earn every month.
From the FAQ
In addition to the guaranteed 500 MB/month free you'll receive by being a user, you can also earn up to 1GB/month free by connecting with your friends on FreedomPop and earn unlimited data free by participating in partner offers and promotions.
With Freedom Friends - you'll earn 10MB for every friend you're connected with on FreedomPop (up to an additional 500MB/month).
With partner offers and promotions - you can earn unlimited data each month by completing special offers. Special offer earned data must be used in the month that it is earned otherwise it will expire.
Visit the Devices page to initiate a return.
Devices subjected to neglect misuse, liquid damage or non standard wear and tear are not eligible for our return program.
Please post here if you find any proof to support above opinions.
Inactive Account Fee
If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, weâll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active.
TRACKING DATA USAGE
If you are using Android and want to keep track of your data, you can use the free app FreedomChomp - https://play.google.com/store/app...eedomchom
To track useage on a PC, you can use the Performance Monitor in the Task Manager.
1. Start Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)
2. Select the Network tab
3. Select View Menu->Select Columns
4. Check Bytes (total of Bytes Sent and Received)
Leave the Task Manager on and note the Total Bytes for the day or session.
Add that to the total from your FreedonPop account home page.
On an Android device, download this app: Network Speed (there are probably others, as well: CISCO Data app)
Open the app and select menu, then select Totals. There is a daily and a monthly total for each network type.
See eth0 for wifi totals.
A single speedtest on (www.speedtest.net ) took over 10MB, so there is your minimum.
Video review of product (Photon)
Exclusions from Arbitration/Right to Opt Out
Notwithstanding the above, you or FreedomPop may choose to pursue a Dispute in court and not by arbitration if: (a) the Dispute qualifies, it may be initiated in small claims court; or (b) YOU OPT-OUT OF THESE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE DATE THAT YOU FIRST CONSENT TO THIS AGREEMENT (the "Opt-Out Deadline"). You may opt out of this Provision by mailing written notification to FreedomPop, 18757 Burbank Boulevard, Tarzana, CA 91356. Your written notification must include: (1) your name; (2) your address; and (3) a clear statement that you do not wish to resolve disputes with FreedomPop through arbitration. Your decision to opt-out of this arbitration Provision will have no adverse effect on your relationship with FreedomPop. Any opt-out request received after the Opt-Out Deadline will not be valid and you must pursue your Dispute in arbitration or small claims court.
Why are there so many complaints? Why is everyone returning devices?
Using the 4G USB modem stick with Nexus 7 (may also work with other android devices), just do the following steps.
1. Turn off wifi
2. Plug the stick in the USB port (need the micro USB OTG for Nexus 7)
3. Open a web browser.
4. Go to http://192.168.14.1 and under the Advanced setting, select NAT Mode. Then, apply.
That's it. No rooting or additional app required.