Massive Government data collection: Is anything off limits?
Politics aside, what limits (if any) should be placed on the government collecting data?
Consumer data collection is at an all time high, do I need to worry about the government requesting information from other companies?
1) My grocery store collects data on all of my purchases.Tin hats aside, I'm sure that with the proper application of data mining and analytics the FBI could uncover quite a few terrorists if they had access to all of this data. But at what cost?
2) My credit card company collects data on purchases and can track travel.
3) Netflix and Redbox know what movies I watch.
4) My kindle/Ipad knows what I read (and for the Ipad what I highlight).
5) Shoot starbucks even knows what time I like my coffee.
Please keep the politics in these threads:
- NSA Collecting Verizon Customers' Phone Records
- The National Security Agency and the FBI are tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. Internet companies
UPDATE: astromarmot (post #255) has linked to a great article on why this matters.....