Deal DetailsLast Edited by BostonGirl May 1, 2015 at 06:12 AM
Example: Trying to find something cheaper, but here's a tablet for $30 @ Walmart. Buy two, trade them in, and come out ~$35 ahead: http://www.walmart.com/ip/2258733...12&ve
- Trade in a working tablet (e-readers & Nook tablets excluded), receive a minimum $50 Best Buy gift card.
- In addition to the minimum $50 gift card, you will also receive a coupon valid for $50 off the purchase of a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
- The Best Buy gift card may be used together with the coupon towards the purchase of a Galaxy Tab A for a total of $100 off; or by itself for $50 towards anything in-store or online.
- You may go to any participating Best Buy location to take advantage of this tablet trade-in promo between 5/1/15 and 5/16/15. The Galaxy Tab A coupon must be redeemed by 5/23/15.
Quote :Get a Minimum of $100 toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A when you trade in any working tablet. Take a look at the Galaxy Tab A below.Check your estimated trade-in value '
Find a store 'Valid in store only 5/1/15–5/16/15. Coupon redemption valid through 5/23/15. When you trade in any working tablet, get a minimum $50 Best Buy gift card and a $50 coupon toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Excludes the Barnes and Noble Nook and eReaders. Not all products are eligible for trade-in. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. Trade-in value may vary. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Limit of 2 trade-ins per person. No rainchecks. Upon trade in of a qualified tablet, a trade-in coupon for $50 toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A will print with the trade-in receipt. Tax applied to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A is applied based on the full retail value. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. See a Customer Specialist or BestBuy.com/TradeIn for details.
- Trade ins can only be made in store starting on 5/1/15 thru end of business 5/16/15.
- Gift cards do not expire; the Samsung Galaxy A coupon can be used through 5/23/15.
- When you trade in any working tablet, get a minimum $50 Best Buy gift card and a $50 coupon toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
- Excludes the Barnes and Noble Nook and eReaders.
- Not all products are eligible for trade-in.
- Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations.
- Trade-in value may vary.
- Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value.
- You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions.
- Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason.
- Limit of 2 trade-ins per person. No rainchecks.
- Upon trade in of a qualified tablet, a trade-in coupon for $50 toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A will print with the trade-in receipt.
- Tax applied to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A is applied based on the full retail value.
- Limit 1 coupon per transaction.
- They will not accept any Nooks, including the Color & HD/+, or grayscale Kindles like the paperwhite, or any tablet listed as an e-reader or e-writer in their trade-in database.
- Boogie Boards are not excluded by name, but are no longer listed as tablets in Best Buy's database so will no longer automatically have the promo applied to them.
- Check your item in the Online Trade-In Database before you go to see if it is considered an e-reader/writer.
- Color Kindle Fires of all generations should be allowed.
- No tablets with cracks in the screen will be accepted, and sometimes the CSR has additional instructions on their screen not to accept items with cracks in bezels or around the frame. YMMV.
- If you are trading in a new item in shrinkwrap, it's best to open it. The promo assumes you are trading in an old item for new, and some stores have given traders grief over sealed items.
- The CS Rep will log into the trade-in application via your customer profile in either their CoreBlue or ETK system. They will ask for your phone number and/or e-mail in order to do this. This should be to determine if your item should receive more than the minimum $50. It is a good idea to check the value online before you go.
- If the CS Rep finds your item, there will be a list of current offers & promotions that will appear on her screen to pick from. This promo will be called something like "Min $50 on Any Working Tablet 5/1-16" S/he should choose this promo. If your item is worth more than $50, your gift card will be in the higher amount. If your Item has a value of $1 - $49 in the trade-in application, the promo will add value so that the gift card will equal exactly $50.
- If the CS Rep does not find your item in the database or the item has a value of $0, the item should be processed as a Recycle - there is a "Recycling My Electronics" button at the bottom of the Trade-In Application that they need to select on their screen. They should then click on "Tablets", and enter the serial number and model number when prompted. The unconditional offer "Min $50 on Any Working Tablet 5/1-16" should show up on their screen as an option they can choose after they start entering your tablet's information. When you receive your receipt at the end of the transaction you will see that the promo added $50 of value to a $0 value tablet for the gift card. HERE is a link to an internal Best Buy document which described how this process worked when certain models of iPhone were not in the database but eligible for a gift card last year.
- The CS Rep is prompted to enter the item's serial number during electronics trade-ins. Your trade will go much easier if the number is clearly visible on the outside of the device. If only visible in a menu when the item is on, try going into that menu and writing the number down in advance; the rep may still need to see it directly on the device but may appreciate the easier-to-see text. If your generic tablet has no serial number on the device (usually in the Settings/About Tablet menu for Android tablets) bring the box with a serial number sticker or affix the serial number to the back of the unit using a sticker.
- YMMV on whether the rep actually turns on the unit, demands accessories, etc. It is best to bring the cable/charger, but not to give them up unless asked. It is rare for the rep to check to see if the charger is the correct one for the tablet (unless the unit will not turn on and the rep plugs it in to see if it powers up). It is also rare for the rep to check for issues the tablet may have beyond whether the screen is cracked or the item will not turn on. ALWAYS charge the tablets up before you come to the store so they will turn on when the CSR logs them in.
- If the rep tries to argue that the item is not in the list of tradeable stuff or has a value of zero, point out the "any tablet" and "guaranteed minimum $50" language in the promotion's terms -- it helps to bring a printout of the web page describing the promo on bestbuy.com.
- If you see a Geek Squad employee helping out at the CS desk, you may wish to wait as they will usually take longer to ascertain the condition of your trade-ins and be more picky over flaws that are not supposed to stop an item that powers on and has no water damage from being accepted. YMMV.
- The CS Rep will also ask (at a minimum - see below for additional info that may be required) for your Driver's License/State picture ID, e-mail and phone. Your e-mail, address and phone will be displayed on the signature touchpad screen afterwards and you will be asked to confirm it. A picture of the item(s) you are trading in will also be taken with the scan device attached to the rep's computer. When the gift card is generated, it will be a regular BB gift card (whatever random style they have available) and a copy of the disclaimer they have you sign about the items being yours to trade in and that BB is not responsible for data left on devices.
- You are supposed to get one $50 gift card per tablet and one Samsung Galaxy Tab A $50 coupon per trade-in transaction. DO NOT let the rep tell you you only get one or the other. If you want to be sure of getting one gift card and coupon per tablet, only trade in one tablet at a time. Some nice reps will process each tablet separately if you bring two, but YMMV.
- The terms say limit 2 per person with no further detail on 2 per visit or 2 per promo. Limits are enforced by the CS rep. No one here has any anecdotal evidence of anyone who has been prevented from trading more than the limit for any Best Buy promotion.
- You are not obligated to use the gift card(s) to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab A; you can buy anything Best Buy sells with it. If your CS Rep insists you have to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab A at the same time you trade in a tablet, refuse and try another location/CS rep at a different time, or post a complaint on the Best Buy Unboxed corporate customer service website (links below). Unboxed calls or e-mails the store manager to correct the situation so you can return and trade without issues.
- If you don't want a BB gift card, you used to be able to use it to buy a Kindle gift card. This will allow you to buy anything on Amazon. Best Buy had phased out selling Kindle gift cards in their stores last Christmas but recently started again, so check around the Kindle or gift card displays if you don't want to buy anything else. You can also buy other types of gift card with a Best Buy gift card. Exception: BB gift cards can't be used to buy BB Visa GCs per their rules, but it is up to the cashier to enforce that rule.
- You can only use one $50 coupon on one Samsung Galaxy Tab A. You are not supposed to be able to use any other coupon, and they will not let you price match -- but YMMV from sales rep to sales rep as far as allowing a second coupon that is not a second $50 Samsung Galaxy Tab A coupon. Because of movers coupon abuse, many Best Buys have specifically been told to refuse them, but the system will allow stacking of edu and the $50 Samsung Galaxy Tab A coupon if the cashier does not object. DO NOT CALL a store to ask if you can stack coupons or combine this with other deals before you go, as you will likely be told NO off the bat.
- The $50 Samsung Galaxy Tab A coupon is not supposed to be used for open box items, but on rare occasions a cashier will allow it.
- The $50 Samsung Galaxy Tab A coupon cannot be used online.
- The $50 coupon no longer has the name of the trader on it, only a transaction number.
- You can use any number of gift cards and rewards certificates in conjunction with the $50 Samsung Galaxy Tab A coupon. The coupon is deducted first, then the certificates, then tax is added, then you pay for the remaining amount with the gift card(s), credit or cash.
- IF YOU REALLY INTEND TO USE THE GALAXY TAB A COUPON, try to wait until after the trade-in period is over but use it before the coupon expires. Best Buy often puts the tablet that the coupon is for on sale right before the coupon expires, or offers a free case bundle, angering those who bought it on the same days they traded their tablets, especially if they were able to apply other discounts that will be lost in a later price match to the purchase. Free items are not price matched per Best Buy policy, unless YMMV and you get an exceptionally nice CSR who will give you one after the fact.
CONTACTING BEST BUY WITH ISSUES IF YOUR ITEMS ARE DENIED
Some who were told the item had to be in the Trade-In database or whose BB locations' Rep's interpretations of the terms of trade were way off have
-- tweeted @BestBuySupport with the store number with a promise that said store will be set straight on correct terms of the trade
-- posted a message on Best Buy Customer Support which privately messages posters with resolutions after contacting the problematic stores.
In your tweet or post, include the store address/city and/or store number if you have it, so the corporate CS rep can identify the store manager they have to contact. The people who answer the tweets are the same staff who read the message board posts, and they usually work from 10-6 central time, so if you post at night you may not get an answer until the next day.
DO NOT WAIT until the evening of the last trade day to post on the CS Forum. They will be gone for the day and unable to do anything about it, except document the problem for next time. They will not extend the trade period for you to go in after 5/16 and get your GC/coupon because the store refused you.
PAWN/SECOND-HAND DEALER LAWS (VARY FROM CITY/COUNTY):
You will be asked to show Photo ID for all trade-in transactions - no exceptions. The ID will tie you to the trade-in transaction if there is an investigation into stolen goods by law enforcement, as will the receipt you sign at the end of all trade-in transactions.
Select cities or counties may have more stringent ID procedures, including:
- Requiring 2 forms of ID instead of one
- Taking an electronic fingerprint image of the trader with a USB reader
- Requiring that the trader bring proof of original purchase via receipt
- Requiring that the trader bring proof of original purchase receipt specifically from Best Buy
SO LOOK UP YOUR BEST BUY LOCATION in the Store Locator to see what the requirements are before you go. On your store's page there will be a link that says "See trade-in guidelines" under a Trade-In header.
How to set or change your Android serial number: