Since opening their first Seattle store in 1971, the creators of Starbucks have had two goals: offer great coffee and make the world a better place. While the company has grown to over 24,000 stores in more than 70 countries, and now sells much more than coffee, it still aspires to nurture the communities it connects to and run a socially responsible business.
There is a wide variety of Starbucks offers, discounts and perks available through the Starbucks Rewards program. You can also get perks with your Starbucks Rewards Visa credit card and using the Starbucks app. Signing up for Starbucks emails is another way to get deals. Keep these tips in mind and pay less for your next cup of joe.
Get Starbucks Deals With the Rewards Program
The company’s current rewards program issues customers one star for every visit. Upon earning 30 stars over the course of a year, customers are promoted to “Gold” status, where they regularly receive freebies for every 12 stars they earn. The new system, however, will dole out stars based on total spending rather than the frequency of visits. Customers will get two stars for each dollar spent, earning Gold status upon receiving 300 stars (or spending roughly $150). Then, they’ll need to reach 125 stars (or spend approximately $63) to get that free food or drink incentive. These monetary figures are, admittedly, estimates, because Starbucks will convert change into partial star earnings and even offer customers new Double-Star Days (which will mean double the rewards earned… and, likely, double the lines.)
In addition, Starbucks is simplifying the structure of its rewards program levels. Currently, members fall into one of three categories: Welcome, Green and Gold. Starting in April, the company will eliminate its “Welcome” rewards tier and opt for only two rewards levels instead. That means that all new members will automatically be enrolled in the Green rewards level and subsequently receive all of its perks, as outlined below:
Most Starbucks discounts are accessed through its rewards program, and there are multiple ways to join. Create an account on the Starbucks website using the information from a physical Starbucks Card or a Starbucks eGift Card. You can also download the Starbucks app, create an account on your mobile device and complete registration with your Starbucks Card. Another way to join is using a Starbucks promo code, called a Star Code, from a participating grocery store product to sign up online. As a new member, you'll start at the Green level (0-299 stars) and earn two stars for every dollar you spend. How these changes affect you largely depends on how much you typically spend per visit. If it’s under $5, prepare to earn star rewards at a slower rate. With a Starbucks Rewards account, you can also:
- Receive a reward on your birthday
- Track your stars and pay by phone
- Order ahead and skip the line
- Get free in-store refills
- Enjoy special offers and member events
Starbucks’ Rewards Program Reviews
After Starbucks sent an email to its Rewards members outlining the changes, some customers worried they’d lose the stars they already had. Others viewed the program update as an overall devaluation, like Slickdealer ForbidInjustice. Previously, Starbucks Reward members worked up from “green” status to “gold” status by earning stars.
However, under the new plan, customers who had less than 300 stars and were still considered green status dropped back down to a zero balance. Could the return of the S’mores Frapp be in part to help distract from the frenzy surrounding the new Rewards program rollout?
The 16-oz grande size S’mores Frappuccino costs approximately $5.35 — and can earn you up to 10 stars — while supplies last. And be sure to set a Deal Alert with us to stay updated on the latest Starbucks offers.
More Ways to Rack Up Stars
- When you reach more than 300 stars, you get extra perks as a Gold member, including earning points faster on Double-Star Days each month and getting a reward every 125 stars.
- Buying in stores isn't the only way to score stars. Use a Starbucks Rewards credit card or prepaid card both in and outside of Starbucks to earn extra stars.
- You can also earn stars by purchasing select grocery store items and then adding the Starbucks promo codes to your online account.
Sign Up for Happy Hour
If you want deals without having a rewards account, sign up for Starbucks emails to get Happy Hour notifications. You'll receive a notice about the next Happy Hour with a Starbucks coupon for a specific type of in-store product. Show this code to the barista on the given day and enjoy your free offer.
Slickdeals is the leading crowdsourced shopping platform:
- Slickdeals strives to offer a comprehensive coverage of the best coupons, promo codes and promotions for thousands of different stores like Starbucks. We have a dedicated team that works around the clock to find, post and verify the offers we present to consumers.
- In the last 20 years, Slickdeals has saved online shoppers over $6.8 billion.
- We have 11 million active savvy shoppers, you can join our community by signing up.
- Slickdeals is the eighth largest online shopping destination in the U.S
- Download our Slickdeals chrome extension, get the best prices and auto apply coupons.
- Get great savings and deals at your fingertips by downloading our Slickdeals Mobile App on iOS or Android.
|1||Starbucks Coupons and Promo Codes for February||Ongoing|
|2||Starbucks Happy Hour: Free Discounts on Drinks and Food||Until 12/31/2050|
|3||Free Starbucks Drink after you Sign-Up for Starbucks' Email List||Ongoing|
|4||Sign Up For Starbucks Rewards||Ongoing|
|5||Free Drink on Your Birthday with Rewards Program||Ongoing|