Do you find yourself interested in cutting edge technology that keeps busy sites running smoother than personal blogs? Have you tried, failed and tried again to make something work while using minimum of resources? Do you like tinkering with hardware and software, analyzing and planning capacity, and being proud about 300+ days of uptime on your servers? Are you keen on finding a free solution to a problem before looking for a paid one?
If so – we might just have a job for you at SlickDeals as a Systems Administrator
We are looking for an innovative, ready to learn, self-starting individual to help us manage the growing complexity of hardware and software which runs the multitude of SlickDeals’ current services. An ideal candidate would have a very strong enterprise Linux background, well versed in networking, know a few things about making different systems work together as if they were one and able to plan for peak usage with cost in mind.
Responsibilities include installing, configuring, deploying and troubleshooting server/desktop/workstation/network hardware and software, including but not limited to:
- Rack servers
- Network switches
- Virtualization software
- Power protection and distribution
- Desktop PCs and peripherals
- Monitoring network equipment, traffic, server performance
- Configuring, monitoring and testing file and database backups
- Disaster recovery, hardware/software inventory, documentation
- Researching new software and hardware solutions
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Must be a highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter who works well independently as well in a team environment.
- Must possess strong communication skills
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Strong preference given to applicants with working experience in:
- Virtualization (Citrix XenServer, VMware ESX/ESXi)
- Linux (RedHat Enterprise Linux/CentOS)
- Web servers (Lighttpd, nginx), including SSL
- Layer 2/3 Networking
- Firewalls (WatchGuard, Cisco)
- MySQL Servers, Replication, High Availability
- “NoSQL” Technologies (Cassandra, HBase/Hadoop, Big Table, Dynamo, MongoDB, Voldemort, etc)
- Backups (File and Database)
- Monitoring software (NagiOS, Cacti)
- VPN technologies (OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP, IPSec)
- Caching technologies (Memcached)
- Rapid indexing/search engines (Sphinx)
- Linux/Windows Interoperability (Samba, Winbind)
- Encryption (TrueCrypt)
- Redundancy, including, but not limited to:
- Load Balancing (software or hardware, Foundry, Cisco)
- Database replication
- RAID technologies
- Automatic failover (DRBD, heartbeat)
- Open source storage technologies (OpenFiler)
- IP Telephony/VoIP (TrixBox, Asterisk)
- Version control software (Git)
- Windows Server 2003/2008
- Windows XP/Vista/7
- Microsoft Office
This position is available for full-time employment, but we are also considering internship opportunities. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and will be expected to relocate to the Las Vegas, NV area.