So, the below is what I have worked up so far. This is a work in progress and now I am looking for corrections/input/suggestions.
For example, what other information is wanted or what information included below is not wanted.
ink/toner cartridge recycling primer/faq for Office Depot / OfficeMax and Staples (vers. 2017.07.26)
FAQ section (vers. 2017.07.26):
Q. (OD/OM) Do you have to recycle or make a qualified purchase first?
- Office Depot / OfficeMax:
- Value: $2 in Rewards per cartridge recycled -- see purchase requirement below.
- Limit: 10 per calendar month - no per day restriction.
- Type: Ink or toner cartridge -- all brands -- OD/OM does not accept damaged cartridges for recycling.
- Purchase requirement:
- To qualify to recycle for a month, qualified purchases of $10 or more must be made in that month.
- Qualifying purchases exclude taxes; delivery fees; postage stamps; gift and prepaid cards; and purchases made with Rewards Certificates, Merchandise Certificates and Merchandise Cards.
- Recycling Rewards:
- Recycling Rewards are paid out quarterly together with Standard Rewards in the form of a Rewards Certificate.
- Rewards are paid out to the penny.
- Rewards Certificates are made available within 30 days after the end of the quarter in which the Rewards are earned.
- Usage: Reward certificates may be redeemed on purchases (excluding all gift and prepaid cards) at Office Depot or OfficeMax stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, online and by phone.
- Expiration: Reward certificates expire the last day of the calendar quarter following the quarter in which rewards were earned. All reward certificates expire at 11:59 PM ET on the date printed on the certificate.
- Member services:
- Value: $2 in rewards per cartridge recycled -- see purchase requirement below.
- Limit: Membership Level:
- Standard: 10 per calendar month - no per day restriction.
- Premier ($1000 in qualified purchases): 20 per calendar month - no per day restriction.
- Type: Any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail stores in the US.
- Purchase requirement
- $30 in ink/toner purchases in the past 180 days.
- Recycling rewards:
- Issued: Monthly, on a separate rewards certificate from purchase rewards, usually in the middle of the month after the month in which the recycling occurred. The rewards certificate is printable from the rewards site (ink rewards certificates can also be emailed or US Mailed).
- Usage: Recycling rewards -- and purchase rewards -- are redeemable for most merchandise in Staples stores, online at staples.com® or by phone at 1-800-333-3330 but cannot be redeemed for or applied against taxes, cash, credit remittance, delivery charges, custom printing orders placed online, promotional products, any purchases made on print.staples.com, documents.staples.com, staplespromotionalproducts.com, staplescustomprinting.btobsource.com, shopstaplesmobile.com, appcenter.staples.com, Staples gift cards, third-party gift cards, prepaid phone cards, postage stamps, prior purchases, Staples Industrialsm purchases or any purchases made on other provider Web sites.
- Online: One transaction - must use full amount of reward check.
- In-store: Two transactions - a balance coupon is issued in-store if rewards check is not used all at once. Balance coupon has same expiration date as rewards check and must be used all at once in-store or online.
- Expiration: Rewards expire the last day of the month following the month of issuance, at the end of the day EST and cannot be redeemed after the expiration date. Expired, lost or misdirected Rewards will not be reissued.
- Member services
A. It does not matter.
Q. Where can I get used ink/toner cartridges?
A. Family and friends, neighbors, thift shops, garage/rummage sales, and of course like everything else, eBay.
Q. If I purchase an item with Rewards will that purchase count toward my purchase requirement for recycling?
A. No. By the extent the purchase is paid for with Rewards, it will not count as a qualifying purchase for the purpose of the recycling purchase requirement.
Q. (Staples) Is there any way to have the opportunity to qualify to recycle 20 carts per month without making $1000 or more in qualified purchases?
A. There are two other options if you want the opportunity to qualify to recycle 20 carts per month but do not want to make the $1000 or more in qualified purchases to reach Premier:
With either option, you are still required to have spent at least $30 on ink and/or toner in the past 180 day to qualify to recycle.
Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards Everything - the new rewards program beginning 07/01/2017.
The Staples Information Thread
Warning: Office Depot Worklife Rewards changing June 17
Office Depot Ink Recycling Policy: 20 cartridges per month as of 4/1/2010
Office Depot Ink Cartridge Recycling changing?
Office Max changes their ink recycling 05/10/09 (w/ additional policy changes 1/1/10)
Staples new ink recycling policy changes Starts July 1, 2010
Staples new ink recycling policy changes Starts Feb 1