work for you?
Kidde Nighthawk Digital Carbon Monoxide/Gas/Propane Detector w/ Battery Backup EXPIRED
Thanks to community member odbal for finding this deal
Note, must be sold/shipped by Amazon
About the Product
- Easy installation
- CO detector with digital display & alert modes; 85 decibel alarm alerts of fire
- Electrochemical sensor technology - detects carbon monoxide & other forms of combustible gas such as propane & natural gas
- Combo smoke and gas alarm is powered by a 120VAC wall outlet w/ 9V battery backup
- Low battery warning feature indicates when the battery needs replacement
- UL Certified
- Two alarms in one detects carbon monoxide and explosive gas
- Three convenient mounting options
- Includes a 5-years limited warranty w/ purchase of this product
Editor's Notes & Price Research
- Price Research: Purchase this unit today and save $10 Off (25.01% Savings) from the original list price of $39.99. This product recently dropped in price and we haven't seen it this low in years
- The Kiddie offers a continuous digital display that shows you the level of carbon monoxide (if any) as well as sensing if gas is present; the gas sensor is a metal oxide sensor designed to detect natural gas (methane) or propane
- Product is returnable until January 31, 2022
- Offer valid while promotion/supplies last
This was posted by LO6932 on November 22, but interest in the product has been much stronger in the comments section of the frontpage Kidde Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detector w/ Battery Backup deal. There, user giantbruin pointed out that they were able to get an additional 30% off with the current Amazon/Amex Membership Rewards deal. Alternatively, user hko got 40% off with the current Amazon/Discover Cashback deal.
The FP Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector deal comments holds a lot of useful and educational information about the difference between CO and explosive gas detectors, the need for each, and when/where to use them. I am a firefighter and have been fielding a lot of those questions, so I'll post my initial explanation below in hopes that it can be helpful here as well. The more we all know, the safer we can be:
Quote :Any house using natural gas (generally methane) or propane should have explosive gas alarm(s) in addition to carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is created by partially burned fuel releasing CO instead of CO2, and its source can be anything from a faulty pilot light, to a running car in an attached garage, to burning embers in the bottom of an ash bucket next to a wood stove (which can still generate enough CO to kill). It is colorless, odorless...undetectable except by carbon monoxide detectors. Honestly, every house should have at least one CO alarm, even if there aren't any presumed sources.
Explosive gas will not trigger carbon monoxide detectors, even at high concentrations. Usually people rely on the bad smell (like rotten eggs) that is added to natural gas/propane as a warning system. However, we have seen situations where gradual accumulation prevented detection due to nose blindness. A few years ago a man and woman came home from date night and could smell natural gas in their driveway as they pulled up. Their two teenage boys were at the back of the small house (1500 sq ft) playing video games and hadn't noticed a thing. One of them had nudged a kitchen stove burner knob and it was hissing out gas, filling the house. After that, they got one of the these alarms and put it in their kitchen. Tested by leaving a burner slightly on, unlit...the alarm went off in under five minutes. I have the same unit in my own kitchen.
One last important point: if you smell gas in your house, do not start opening windows to air it out. Explosive gasses are only explosive at relatively low concentrations with air. Propane is only about 10%; methane around 15%. By the time you smell it, it's possible your concentrations could be higher than that. Opening windows could pull you back into the "danger zone". Don't ventilate; evacuate. Call the fire department. We can determine the concentrations and ventilation needs, as well as speed ventilations with fans that are low-risk for causing explosions.
Remember, as a general rule (in the US at least):
• We won't charge you for our help
• You are not bothering us
• If anything, you are probably making our day more interesting
• It is good practice for us
• We are then on-hand in case anything does explode
Alright, enough rambling from me. Be safe, everyone.