Edited December 4, 2022
at 11:31 AM
In short, if you have a Samsung S21 with cracked screen, you can get a Pixel 7 close to free. Cracked S21 needs to power up.
Google Fi is offering $200 off on Pixel 7 ($399) and $300 off on Pixel 7 Pro ($599).
Trading in value for cracked Samsung S21 is $417.5. Essentially, Pixel 7 becomes almost free after trade in. This is very good trade in value for cracked phone. Non-cracked S21 trade in is $480, not bad, but bestbuy offers $600 towards S22 on non-cracked S21. If you pay $400 + tax for device, you get $400 refund back to your cc, $17.5 will be fi credit for future service fee.
60 days of service is required for $200/$300 instant discount. New customer is required to port in a number. However, there is work around, see below. Cheapest plan is $20 per month. You can find a referral code to get the first month for free. So 2 months of service costs $20, without referral, will be $40.
If device is activated by a physical sim, the sim can't be used in any other phones. Put it in a drawer. The phone is fully unlocked and can use other sims.
0. If you are exiting customer, go to 5.
1. If you are new customer to Fi, go to 2.
2. Check your phone compatibility at https://fi.google.com/compatibility.
If not compatible, you need to sign up as new customer and port in your number, then go to 5. If you have a compatible phone, go to 3.
3. If you have pixel, iphone, sammy with esim, sign up Fi with esim, activate service, choose I need a new number, go to 5. If your phone doesn't have esim, go to 4.
4. Purchase a Fi sim from bestbuy, target, amazon. Sign up Fi and activate service. Choose I need a new number. Go to 5.
5. In your Fi account, click order device, choose pixel 7 (other phone also works), choose trade in cracked S21, place order.
6. Once the phone arrives, activate pixel 7 with esim or physical sim. Disable data. Remove the physical sim, put it in drawer. Insert your own sim in pixel 7. New phone can be used on any carrier on day 1.
7. Wait for a separate empty trade in box in mail with return label in it, send back trade in phone, video the whole process, wait for trade in refund, which can be quite long.
8. Keep Fi service for 60 consecutive days to fulfill the phone instant discount.
9. After 60 days, you can do whatever with your Fi account.
Sim or esim attaches to the fi account, don't use other phone on this fi account. In case you accidentally activate fi on a different phone, it won't forfeit the discount. It only resets the 60 day clock. You will get a warning email from fi. All you need to do is to re-activate fi on the new phone, keep the sim in the phone or drawer. The 60 day count down will restart. Again, you can use other sim in the new phone from day one.