There's a lot of scattered information about this deal. Let's consolidate everything into one thread so we can better share advice and information about the deal.
I don't take credit for any of this information, I'm just referencing others. I just want to have an easy to find place with up to date concise information in a WIKI format so more people can get this and keep it going. Unfortunately, Howard Forums don't have a WIKI and it is hard to get through so many posts to find some answers.
For those that don't know the deal, basically, you can get a Hotspot type of device for $100 or less and with a couple of simple modifications, you can get fast unlimited 4G data for about $20 per month. The device is supposed to be for cars, but with a power supply, you can use it anywhere, including a source for your home Internet. Many have reported that you can even take the SIM out and use it in the Super fast unite explore Hotspot for speeds up to 150mbps
It does take some work. You have to get on the $20 unlimited standalone plan by either calling AT&T or going into a best buy location.
Ebay best buy store, $100, didn't charge me tax, but had to pay $25 activation for best buy to activate it
You can also get it directly from AT&T for free, but need a 2 year contract, and they charge $45 activation fee, and you have to pay tax.
Step 2 is to get the adapter that will allow it to work in your home. You can either make one yourself or pay a high price for an already modified charger.
Here is some basic information.
Connected Car Dept # 1 (866) 595-1222
Now you can order the $20 plan directly from AT&T website without jumping through hoops. You have to pay tax and $45 activation, but device is free with 2 year contract. So I guess no more YMMV
THERE IS A HARD CREDIT CHECK, NO MATTER WHAT
HOW TO COMBINE MOBLEY WITH HOME INTERNET TO INCREASE SPEEDS:
You can add the device to your home internet to increase your overall speed and have a backup in case your home internet goes out. For example, if your home internet has 50/5 and your device gets 20/10, you can add them together to get 70/15.
I have found that the easiest way to do this is to get an AT&T Homebase unit and pop your SIM in it. You need to change the APN settings for it to work.
You will need a TP Link Load balance router. You can find it on ebay for cheaper, but here is the Amazon link:
1. Buy Load balance router
2. have a way to connect mobley to the TP Link load balance router via ethernet
a.connect by micro USB port
b. connect by getting a home base unit
3. easiest way is to make sure the IP addresses don't interfere. (for example, set your home router at 192.168.1.1, your mobley/home base to 192.168.0.1, your TP link to 192.168.2.1) ie the second to last space, the number needs to be different, to give you the option of connecting to one or the other without mixing
1. connect home internet via ethernet cable to TP link (port 1 or 2)
2. connect mobley/home base to TP link (the next port)
3. connect your router to the 3rd/4th/5th ports
4. log into TP link, admin, admin
5. under Network, then WAN, check 2
6. under advanced, then load balance, uncheck everything
7. under advanced, then traffic control, make sure "Disable Bandwidth Control" is checked
8. Run speed test to make sure it is adding the bandwidth
9. you might have to turn all your devices off and then on. I'll try to post the link to the settings if above is not clear